JAMES MADISON UNIVERSITY
UNIVERSITY COUNCIL

Minutes No. 1 1997-98
Wednesday, October 22, 1997


I. CALL TO ORDER, ATTENDANCE, MINUTES: The James Madison University Council met on Wednesday, October 22, 1997, at 4:00 p.m. in the Allegheny Room of Warren Hall, with Dr. Linwood Rose, Acting President, presiding.

PRESENT: Dr. Dorothy Boyd-Rush, Dr. Douglas Brown, Mr. Kevin Chamberlin, Dr. Diane Fuqua, Ms. Nicole Gallipoli, Dr. Norman Garrison, Dr. Linda Cabe-Halpern, Dr. Archer Harris, Dr. Carol Kefalas, Mr. Charles King, Mr. Randy Mitchell (for Dr. Robert Scott), Ms. Michele Parsons, Dr. Jackson Ramsey, Ms. April Roberts, Mr. Dennis Robison, Mr. Glenn Smith, Mr. Andrew Sorensen, Dr. Carl Weaver, and Dr. Richard Whitman.

ABSENT: Dr. Jerry Benson, Dr. Barbara Castello, Dr. John Cordani, Mr. Gerald Gill, Ms. Barbara Miller, and Mr. Jeff Nobel.

MINUTES: There being no corrections or additions to the University Council minutes of April 17, 1997, they were approved as posted.

II. ELECTION OF COUNCIL SECRETARY: Secretary to University Council must be appointed by Council. Duties of the position include preparing and electronically posting the agenda for members of Council, recording attendance, and recording and electronically posting copies of the minutes.

On motion of Dr. Ramsey, seconded by Dr. Whitman, Ms. Donna Burch was appointed secretary to Council for 1997-98.

III. COMMISSION/COUNCIL REPORTS:

Undergraduate Curriculum Council:

Dr. Diane Fuqua, Chairperson, reported that the Undergraduate Curriculum Council had not met and therefore had no report.

Graduate Council:

Dr. Dorothy Boyd-Rush, Chairperson, presented the following report:

Fourteen faculty members were given graduate faculty status.

An inter-disciplinary program between Kinesiology and Health Sciences (Dietetics) was approved. This program is designed to integrate nutrition, exercise physiology and exercise testing and prescription; students will have a single major (either Kinesiology or Health Sciences.)

A new course was approved in Computer Science and minor course changes were made in Kinesiology.

In response to policy and procedure review necessitated by People Soft implementation, the following items were discussed. Members will review with their respective colleges and return for decision at a later meeting.

Graduate programs were encouraged to review prerequisite courses in light of People Soft implications and will be allowed to change requirements utilizing the "short form."

Commission on Student Services:

Mr. Randy Mitchell, on behalf of Chairperson Dr. Robert Scott, presented the following report:

The Commission on Student Services held its first meeting of the academic year on October 16. Ms. Suzi Straub presided in Dr. Scott's absence.

Ms. Straub welcomed the members to the meeting; reviewed the mission statement and membership structure; and told members the proper procedure for adding agenda items for the commission meetings.

Ms. Jennifer Sowers presented eight clubs and organizations for approval. Dr. Ihle moved the groups be accepted by acclimation. Mr. Mitchell seconded and the motion carried. The groups approved are:

Association of Facilities Engineering Black Arts Social Society Operation Smile Youth Club Professional Recreation Organization (Pro-Rec.) Quantitative Finance Club Running Club Ultimate Frisbee Club Water Polo Club (Women's)

A recommendation will be forwarded to Dr. Rose for recognition of these organizations.

Mr. Randy Mitchell presented a comprehensive explanation of the Student Success Model which is being implemented at JMU.

Commission on Community:

Dr. Carol Kefalas, Chairperson, presented the following report:

The Commission met on October 10. The following items were discussed/acted on by the Commission on Community:

The members of the Commission on Community discussed the mission statement and their goals for the Commission this year. Some revisions will be considered at the next meeting. The issues of community relations between the students and the Harrisonburg police, the bill on Old Town housing, and the issue of community were all discussed and will be revisited in later meetings. Commission members will be meeting with the town mediation group team.

The Commission will sponsor Diversity Day on April 2 in conjunction with JMU's training center and other organizations.

Commission members also signed up for committees. The committees are: the Dolley Madison Award, Grants, Annual Report, Diversity Day, and Focus on Community Relations. The last two are new committees. The chairs for each committee were designated.

IV. REPORT OF THE FACULTY SENATE

Dr. Archer Harris, Speaker of the Faculty Senate, presented the following report:

National Alcohol Awareness Week:
The Faculty Senate approved a proclamation supporting National Alcohol Awareness Week. An advertisement has been placed in the Breeze encouraging students to take part in the event's activities.

Academic Misconduct:
The Faculty Senate has been asked to review and comment on the report by the Task Force on Academic Misconduct by November 15, 1997. It has developed a process for conducting that review, and expects to finalize a response at its October 30 meeting. Recognizing the role of the Honor Advisory Board as the body responsible for making changes to the Honor Code, the Senate will send its response to the Honor Advisory Board. It will send a copy of its response to the Academic Council.

General Education:
The faculty continue to be upset by the General Education review process. That review process must include two characteristics. First, General Education needs review by an "external" group (a group whose membership has limited involvement in the actual implementation of the General Education program). Second, the review body must match the scope of the General Education program; it must be university wide.

The UCC exists, and satisfies those characteristics. Its involvement needs to be streamlined. Information about General Education needs to be sent to the UCC for its review (but not approval). And most importantly, any academic unit, program, department, or college unable to resolve difficulties with either a Cluster Committee or the General Education Council should be allowed to request for the UCC to arbitrate the dispute.

I would hope most would agree on the following. That the Senate is the recognized body that speaks for the faculty. And that primary responsibility for curriculum decisions lie with the faculty. Given those two principles, I cannot understand the lack of movement on this issue. Those with primary responsibility for making curricular decisions have indicated they find the review process unacceptable. That is a problem that needs to be solved. Let's not ignore it or claim it does not exist. Let's solve it.

Higher Education Forum:
On October 2, the JMU Faculty Senate co-sponsored (with the Virginia Faculty Senate and the Faculty Senates of several Virginia colleges and universities) a public forum on critical issues facing higher education in Virginia. The theme for the forum was "Higher Education: Critical Issues for Virginia's Next Generation." Speakers included:

Gerald Baliles, former Virginia Governor Lt. Gov. Don Beyer, Democratic candidate for Governor Delegate Morgan Griffith, for Republican candidate for Jim Gilmore Elizabeth McClanahan, Chair State Council of Higher Education J. Michael Mullen, Interim Director, State Council of Higher Education John Chichester, State Senator Emily Couric, State Senator Ted Bennett, Delegate Donald Finley, Virginia Higher Education Business Council

The following themes occurred repeatedly throughout the day.

Other speakers presented business, legislative, and SCHEV perspectives on higher education. Mr. Mullen indicated the three items currently at the top of the SCHEV's agenda are:

Former Governor Baliles gave the keynote address. He remarked, "Virginia has lost more then one-third of its higher education funding per student since I left the Governor's office seven years ago. We had been appropriating about $10.50 of state funds per $1000 of personal income. This year we appropriated less than $7.00. Virginia seems to be walking away from its commitment to strong colleges and universities." He concluded, "we must persuade citizens, their elected representatives, educators and, indeed, all who have a stake in our state's well being that higher education is essential and that it is at risk."

Faculty Senate of Virginia:
I believe the Higher Education Forum is an example of an emerging attitude of Virginia higher education faculty. I believe Virginia faculty will become more active state wide, in publicizing faculty efforts and in serving as advocates for higher education and faculty needs. Virginia higher education employees are the largest group of state employees that do NOT have a presence in Richmond. The Faculty Senate of Virginia (of which the James Madison University Senate is a member) is considering options for creating a presence there.

Lag Pay Bonus:
The Senate is investigating the June 1997 state plan for conversion to lag pay and whether or not faculty were denied a bonus to which they may have been entitled.

V. REPORT OF THE STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION

Ms. April Roberts, SGA President, presented the following report:

Academic Affairs to Look at General Education and Academic Integrity Reports:
The Academic Affairs Committee, under Chairman Jessica Aman, is well underway with their work on two issues facing the student body at this time. In their continued effort to further educate the senate and therefore the student body on the logistics of the General Education Program, they are also investigating the myths and misconceptions surrounding the program so that students will have a more clear understanding of what "Gen Ed" involves. Additionally, the committee will be submitting a response to the Academic Integrity Report distributed last April. It is the intention of the committee to seek wide student opinion via student polls primarily prior to submitting this report.

Student Services Addresses Concerns Alongside Harrisonburg Police Department:
In a effort to open the lines of communication between students and the Harrisonburg Police Department, the Student Services Committee has begun work with the Harrisonburg Police Department on the establishment of a roundtable discussion session (Police Relations Panel) in which students and members of the Police Department meet monthly to discuss issues of concern and importance to both groups. Applications are currently being accepted for service on this panel in the SGA Office, Taylor 234.

Ad Hoc Committees Charged with Reviewing Election Procedures:
The first SGA Ad Hoc committee of the year has been formed to address the issue of changing the election procedures for off-campus senators. These senators are currently selected on the basis of an application which they submit prior to the start of the year. The committee will be looking into the possibility of electing senators from the 5 colleges instead of off-campus housing areas. There will be more information to follow as the committee continues to develop a proposal.

Senate Discusses U.S. History Component of General Education:
In response to the current discussion regarding the U.S. History component of the General Education Program, the student senate discussed at length a resolution to assert senate opinion that U.S. History should be a requirement in the new program. However at the October 14th meeting, the resolution failed to get the two-thirds majority vote required for passage.

VI. REPORT OF THE HONOR COUNCIL

Mr. Kevin Chamberlin, Honor Council President, explained the following information:

Activities/ Committees/ Goals:

New Location: The office space we currently have does not meet our needs. We are working to be moved to upper campus, either in Wilson Hall or into an academic building.

New Structure: We are working on structurally moving out from under the SGA umbrella and more directly under Academic Affairs.

Updating Our Constitution: Our constitution has not been updated since 1972. Our system has had many changes since then. We are working on bringing this up to speed.

Establishing a Webpage: We are working on establishing a webpage to promote campus awareness and communication.

Honor Awareness Week: We had a great turnout for Honor Awareness Week. Many students took our quiz and asked questions about recent changes and what our plans for the future are. We plan on having this again in the spring.

Plaques: A committee is working on replacing the Honor Council plaques that have been taken down in the last year. They are also putting up new plaques in new buildings and rooms on campus.

Presentations: A committee has scheduled many presentations for various groups and departments around campus. We would like to present to every department and every student organization. Presentations can be scheduled by calling our office.

New Representatives: We selected 14 new student representatives this semester. A large number of students applied for the position- the most ever. We are currently training them and placing them on committees. A mock hearing is being held October 26.

Honor Advisory Board:
A subcommittee consisting of six members has been established to draft a list of recommendations and to explore new ideas. We have been meeting weekly to reply to the Task Force recommendations. The Honor Advisory Board as a whole will vote on the amended recommendations.

Case Update:
There have been two cases this fall. Both have resulted in "not guilty" verdicts.

VII. REPORT OF UNIVERSITY PROGRAM BOARD

Ms. Michele Parsons, Executive Chair, summarized the following update on UPB:

-UPB started off the year with several START events and Student Organization Night.

-UPB has created and filled a new executive board position, the Multimedia Information Systems Technician. David Pascual was elected on October 6.

-UPB sent five board members to the National Association of Campus Activities regional conference in September.

-The Issues and Cultural Awareness Committee hosted a program featuring the cast of the Real World on September 16.

-UPB hosted Widespread Panic in the convocation center on September 21. The Musical Events Committee also organized three smaller events in September.

-The Comedy/Novelty Committee organized one comedy Club PC event on September 29. The same committee hosted the Talent Jam 97 on October 16 which showcased student talent.

-UPB organized the field festival for Homecoming on October 18.

The following events will be held this semester:

October 21 Club PC with Dan Horn (comedy club)
October 23 Special Sneak Preview of A Life Less Ordinary
November 2 "They Might Be Giants" concert in Godwin
November 4 Steve Gunderson and Rob Morris in Grafton Stovall at 7PM
November 13 Jazz trio featuring Joshua Redman, Christian McBride and Brian Blade in Wilson Hall

VIII. ADJOURNMENT:

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 4:20 p.m.

_______________________________
Linwood H. Rose, Acting President

_______________________________
Donna E. Burch, Secretary