Madison Script
James Madison University

University Council

Agenda 2003-2004

Proceedings 2003-2004

University Council Members 2003-2004

Proceedings 2002-2003

   - Minutes No. 1 - 10-24-02
   - Minutes No. 2 - 11-21-02
   - Minutes No. 3 - 2-20-03
   - Minutes No. 4 - 4-10-03
   - University Council Members 2002-2003

Proceedings 2001-2002

Past Proceedings 1997-2000

Minutes No. 4 2002-2003

UNIVERSITY COUNCIL

Minutes No. 4  2002-2003
Thursday, April 10, 2003


I.  CALL TO ORDER AND ATTENDANCE: The James Madison University Council met electronically on Thursday, April 10, 2003.

PRESENT: Mr. Ralph Alberico, Dr. Jerry Benson, Dr. Patricia Brady, Dr. David Brakke, Dr. Doug Brown, Dr. Michael Busing, Ms. Andrea Fischetti, Dr. Karen Forcht, Dr. Steve Frysinger, Mr. Christopher Gatesman, Dr. Linda Halpern, Ms. Donna Harper, Mr. John Horigan, Mr. Charles King, Ms. Amanda Jordan, Dr. Sharon Lovell, Dr. Ramon Mata-Toledo, Dr. Robert Reid, Dr. Lin Rose, Dr. Michael Smilowitz, Dr. Kathy Stafford, Dr. William Walker, Dr. Mark Warner, Dr. Richard Whitman, and Dr. David Zimmerman.   

ABSENT: Mr. Levar Stoney 

 

II.  COMMISSION/COUNCIL REPORTS:

Committee on Academic Programs:

Dr. Steve Frysinger, Chair, reported that the Committee had met on March 28, 2003.  Several topics were discussed:

1.  Occupational Therapy Program
ISSUE:   Occupational Therapy is presently an undergraduate program.  They plan to change it to a graduate level program.  The accreditation is competency-based.
ACTION:  The committee approved the request.

2.  Program change for the Early Childhood Master of Arts in Teaching

      ISSUE:  To approve a program change.

      ACTION:  The Graduate Council did not have a quorum at their meeting on March 27th so they were unable to approve the change.  Therefore, CAP could not approve.

 

3.  GenEd Cluster One Changes

      ISSUE:  Cluster One changes.

      ACTION:  The committee approved the request.

 

4.  Nomenclature Committee Update

      ISSUE:  A SACS recommendation directed that nomenclature for academic programs be made more consistent.  Nancy Nichols presented the report of the faculty committee and answered questions.

      ACTION:  CAP members reviewed the report and made some editing changes.  Nancy Nichols will make the suggested changes to the document; send it to Alvin Pettus, Chair of the Nomenclature Committee.  After his review, he is to send it to Kristi Shackelford, Catalog Editor, who will proofread the document and make sure it uses consistent language.  After these editing changes have been made, it will be posted to CAP's blackboard site for review, after which CAP will vote on the document electronically.

 

5.  Review deletion of 2 minors for College of Arts and Letters

      ISSUE:  Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures proposes to delete:

            -Website/Software Localization minor

            -Technical Translation minor

     ACTION:  The committee approved the deletions.

 

 

Graduate Council:
Dr. N. William Walker, Dean, reported that the Graduate Council had met both electronically and as scheduled for the months of February and March, 2003. The following actions are being reported:

 

Results of electronic voting:
1. Twenty-two electronic faculty/instructor approvals
2. Twenty-seven electronic course approval/changes approved
3. Revised programs in School of Education for Adult Education/Human Resource Development and School Administration
4. New program of Masters in Art in Teaching in Early Childhood Education for students from other disciplines seeking career change to teaching profession.
5. Approved request by School of Education that education 5th year MAT programs allow JMU undergraduates enrolled in the program not be required to take the standardized tests as criteria for acceptance into the graduate program.

New Business included the following:

1.  An Entrepreneurial Advisory Council was formed to speak to the Professional Programs side of CGAPP. This Council will advise CGAPP on continuing education and other entrepreneurial activities.

2.  Issues under discussion:

Issue:   Ken Bahn presented an issue regarding 6 prerequisite (500-level) courses that are required for MBA students who do not have the necessary business background upon entering the program. These courses are not requirements for graduation from the MBA program but are currently listed on the graduate transcript. Since current policy states that earning two C's in graduate work places a student on probation and, upon earning the third C the student is expelled, the 500-level courses could potentially place a student on probation before he/she actually enters formal MBA coursework.
ACTION: The suggestion was made to make the courses undergraduate level but require permission to take the courses so only graduate level students are permitted to register for the courses.

ISSUE:  Discussion regarding criteria for graduate faculty status revolved around whether every faculty member should be granted graduate faculty status or stay with current criteria.

ACTION:   Since not all programs need the same criteria, Dr. Walker will send out questions to group electronically for suggestions and then meet as a smaller group to discuss. 

 

ISSUE:  5-year Plan.  Discussion revolved around faculty reaction to the draft of the 5-year plan distributed by Dr. Walker.  A suggestion was made to ask university administrators to meet with graduate faculty to help folks understand graduate education and the direction the university is planning for graduate education in the future.
ACTION:  Dr. Walker will form a sub-committee of volunteers to discuss the 5- year plan in preparation for the upcoming retreat.

ISSUE: Dr. Walker requested that interested members willing to serve on an assistantship sub-committee send him an e-mail.

Some issues for the group to address:
-Establishing ratios for different categories of assistantships as defined in the graduate assistantship university policy #2103
-Assistantship "contracts" with supervisor, and "learning goals" plan
-How can we get more assistantships?
-How can we raise the stipend amounts?
-Impact of varying lengths of assistantship on overall assistantship program
-Splitting assistantships between part-time students
-New strategies to make other assistantship opportunities available
-What can we offer to out-of-state students to compensate for rising tuition rates?

 

ISSUE:   Kay Veith reported that CGAPP staff periodically receives questions from students, who have been accepted into a program, regarding how long they have to accept or decline the offer.  The CGAPP staff currently refers students to the program for the answer since this is a program decision. 

ACTION: CGAPP, with the help of the graduate coordinators, will develop a new procedure to address this issue.

ISSUE: The MBA program has an option for a 12 month graduate program primarily for JMU students starting in August, finishing the following August.  Ken Bahn asked whether the tuition covered by assistantships could be for 12 credits per semester for the full year instead of 9 credits for 4 semesters.
ACTION:   Council members recommended that the MBA program work with the stipend amount they are given through the budget process for assistantships to allocate how the assistantships are assigned. 

UPDATES
1.  Stephanie Dupal distributed a handout to Council members and asked that they encourage their faculty and students to participate in submitting articles to the CGAPP Gazette, (the CGAPP newsletter), to participate in the Graduate Student Organization Spring 2003 Workshop Series, and to participate in and distribute flyers advertising the 2003 Madison Graduate Conference.   The 2003 Madison Graduate Conference is co-sponsored by the English Department and CGAPP.  A suggestion was made that in the future sponsorship could rotate among programs to provide university-wide symposiums. The name of the graduate student association has been changed to Graduate Student Organization. 

2. The GSO is planning to have a graduate student reception on the evening of May 9 to help celebrate the accomplishments of graduating graduate students.  This will be the first of its type in JMU history.

3. The graduate course grading option change has passed through all review bodies.  The information will be submitted to Sherry Hood for Fall 2003.  The numerical value of a B+ will change from 3.5 to 3.3.  The change will be addressed in the Graduate Catalog.

4. Web recruiting:  CGAPP has purchased the package offered by Petersen's and will continue to use Gradschools.com.  Petersen's has both a book and the website advertisement.

5. Reba Leiding reported that the Library is getting ready to do a journal review.  Inflation has caused about a 10% increase in the cost of journals and the Library will be cutting about 12% from the total journal budget.  She encouraged Council members to work with their library liaison to let them know the use of the journals and which journals they would like to keep.  It is more difficult for the Library to track usage now that there are various media for journals.

6.  Results of data from programs regarding number of students staying in VA:
     The survey to graduate programs indicated that approximately 70% of graduates from our graduate programs stay in VA and contribute to the Commonwealth's work force.

7. Dr. Walker announced that he has created a survey that is being sent out to graduate coordinators asking how teaching assistants are trained in order to satisfy SACS concerns.  The survey asks what we do and how we do it, especially with regard to teaching assistants who have English as their second language.

8. SACS:  Differentiating graduate from undergraduate in program descriptions/ mission and incorporating graduate goals.  With the help of Kristi Shackelford, mission statements are currently being overhauled by graduate program coordinators to be certain there is clear differentiation between the graduate program and the respective undergraduate component.  Specific, measurable goals are being incorporated as well. This will eliminate the need for a sub-committee for re-wording current mission statements to comply with SACS criteria. Dr. Walker thanked the graduate coordinators for working with Kristi to get mission statements completed in time to print in the 2003-2004 Graduate Catalog.

9.  Dates and meeting place for Spring semester Graduate Council meetings are (note retreat day):
      a. April 17      Moody Lounge
      b. May 16      Retreat Festival Dining Room is tentative site
     (Regular meetings are scheduled from 2:00 p.m.- 3:30 p.m.)

10. The next CGAPP Newsletter will be published in early April. There is still time for programs to submit articles to be included. 

11. Other announcements:  CGAPP is planning activities for a graduate education week, which will be held during the same week as the Annual Graduate Information Fair, scheduled in November.  CGAPP is also planning activities for celebrating 50 years of graduate education at James Madison University in 2004. 

 

Commission on Community:
Mr. Christopher Gatesman, reported that the Commission on Community met on March 7, 2003.

 

Where We Were

All members were mailed a copy of the Mission of the Commission on Community. During this meeting Chris and Renee Staton shared their understanding of how the Commission on Community has changed over the years. We no longer have grant money to distribute. Some past Commission members and chairs have expressed frustration regarding the university's response to Commission findings and suggestions. That leads us to?

 

Where We Are

We have been asked to operate as a task force to determine what role the Commission on Community should have at JMU.

 

What This Means for Where We're Going

Our charge suggests that we must determine whether or not JMU needs a Commission on Community. Therefore, members present agreed that we should first identify programs, offices, and services at JMU and in the surrounding community that address diversity and community concerns. Then, we can look for overlap and gaps that could suggest the future focus and direction for a group like the Commission on Community.

 

Immediate tasks

1. Identify groups that we can survey regarding programs and services that relate to diversity and community
2. Develop criteria for our survey, including at least: type of service offered (social/educational); target audience (students/staff/faculty/community members); sponsoring organization, if any.

 

We are currently developing our list of groups and the survey criteria.


 

III.   REPORT OF THE FACULTY SENATE
Dr. Michael Smilowitz forwarded the following report:  

 

A. Standing Committees

Academic Policies

1.  The committee concluded there is insufficient need and insufficient interest in examining the scheduling of the Thanksgiving break.
2.  The committee was finally successful in gathering grades distribution data, and is in the process of data analysis to prepare a set of recommendations.

 

Faculty Concerns Committee
1.  The Faculty Affairs Committee arranged the purchase of gifts for retiring faculty and is planning an April 24th reception at 5:00 p.m.
2.  The committee has completed a survey form to assess the needs of faculty with rotating term appointments.
3.  The committee identified the procedures through which part-time faculty may access the Library and UREC during summer.

 

B. Ad Hoc Committees

Expanding Horizons

The Expanding Horizons project is fully operational and experiencing considerable success.  As of March 31st, there have been three Saturday meetings, which included a presentation on philosophy and ethics by Professor O'Meara, a tour of TV 3's studios and a presentation by TV 3 Danielle Banks, and a presentation by Professor Giovanetti on the physics of computers complete with the participants each constructing a simple computer.  On April 5th, the participants will attend a performance of Shakespeare's Tempest, at the Blackfriars Theatre in Staunton.

 

Faculty Emeriti Initiative

As expected, the committee left its winter hibernation at spring's thaw.  They administered a web-based survey of the entire faculty, and the committee is currently analyzing the data.  By mid-April, its recommendations for utilizing retired faculty more effectively and its report of any needed changes that may enhance recruitment and retention of faculty, should be available.

 

C.  Other Business
1.  The Senate endorsed the Speaker's formation of a budget advisory committee which will provide the Provost with the faculty's recommendations on budgetary matters. The committee membership has been identified, and its report is expected in mid-fall.
2.  The Faculty Handbook Committee will post on the Senate's website its recommendations for the changes to the Handbook.
3.  The Senate's Steering Committee is preparing to administer the Biannual Faculty Morale Survey and will meet during summer to prepare the report.

 

 

IV.   REPORT OF THE STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION
No report was received.

 

 

V.    REPORT OF THE HONOR COUNCIL
Mr. John Horigan, Honor Council President, provided the following information.

 

Informal Resolutions:  agreements between a faculty member and a student accused of violating the Honor Code.  The agreement is essentially a contract between the instructor and the student regarding the violation, generally including an admission of guilt, and the sanction for that violation.  The maximum sanction that may be imposed by this course of action is failure of the course without the option to repeat/forgive.  Average number of Informal Resolutions for any academic year is highly variable. 

 

As of 4/2/03 for the academic year 2002-03:  56

 

Formal Resolutions:  hearings granted to a student accused of violating the code for any of the following reasons: First, the accused refuses to sign an Informal Resolution, or denies guilt.  Second, the faculty member involved deems the violation too serious to be dealt with by only one faculty member.  Third, the student has one or two prior violations, whether informal or formal.  A Formal Resolution requires that a hearing panel be convened with four students (three Honor Council Representatives and the Council Vice President), and three faculty representatives as the deliberations panel.  The decision of guilt is made before intent and sanctioning.  Only after a decision regarding guilt is made is the panel informed of any prior violations.  Minimum sanctions that apply are as follows: for a first violation there is no minimum sanction.  For a second violation suspension for one academic semester and failure of the course without the option to repeat forgive.  Lastly, for a third violation the minimum sanction is expulsion.  In past years the average number of Formal Resolutions per year has fluctuated around two. 

 

As of 4/2/03 for the academic year 2002-03:

   -6 completed formal resolutions

   -6 under investigation/pending hearings.

 

There is currently one appeal pending.

One appeal has been heard by an appeal panel.

 

Representatives

Seven new representatives were selected from 9 applicants.  The new representatives are:

 

Robert S. Allensworth

Lauren N. Newman

Morgan Browning

G. Nicholas Perkinson

Jennifer L. Costanzo

Megan C. Sette

Naomi K. Knutti

 

 

Student Education Committee

The Student Education Committee has completed 7 Residence Hall presentations on the topic of the Honor Code in an effort to increase awareness of the importance and value of academic integrity at JMU. The committee's focus is on classroom presentations in the fall semester.


The committee will be charged with determining a more effective means of educating all students on the Honor Code. The Honor Advisory Board has suggested the use of an informational video on the Code during freshman advising sessions at orientation. I have contacted Dr. Ward regarding this possibility but have not yet received a reply.


Faculty Relations Committee

The Faculty Relations Committee is currently working on preparing two tri-fold pamphlets for faculty members on how to report violations as well as how to get involved in the council. Two drafts have been submitted to the executive council and will hopefully be circulated in the fall.

Publicity Committee

The publicity committee is currently focusing on publicizing the openings on the executive council for Investigators. Applications will be made available on the 4th of April, due the 17th, and interviews will be held on the 23rd.

 

Honor Advisory Board

The Honor Advisory Board met on March 6, 2003. Debate was re-opened on altering the second sanction of the Honor Code to include a notation on the student's transcript. All members of the board agreed that there would be no vote on the issue until further research has been completed. Katie Ferguson, Head Investigator, has undertaken large parts of the research and will present her findings in a proposal to the Board at the end of the year. It has been agreed, however, that due to recent input from the Registrar's office, that the second sanction will need to be altered so as to be consistent with the policies and capabilities of that office.   

 

    

VI.   REPORT OF UPB
Ms. Amanda Jordan, the new executive director for the University Program Board, presented the following information. 

 

Some of the recent events have included the speaker, Chazz Plaminteri, rapper Nas and Yakudo-Traditional Japanese drummers. One upcoming event is Larry the Cable Guy with Ron White, comedians from The Blue Collar Comedy Tour on April 15.

 

 

NOTE:   This is the final meeting for the 2002-2003 academic year.  

 

 

 

 

Linwood H. Rose, President

 

 

Donna E. Burch, Secretary

James Madison University logo PUBLISHER: President's Office, MSC 7608, Harrisonburg, VA 22807 - PHONE: (540) 568-6868 - FAX: (540) 568-2338
FOR INFORMATION CONTACT: Donna Burch - Privacy Statement
Last Modified: 10/30/2003