Madison Script
James Madison University

University Council

Agenda 2003-2004

Proceedings 2003-2004

University Council Members 2003-2004

Proceedings 2002-2003

   - Minutes No. 1 - 10-24-02
   - Minutes No. 2 - 11-21-02
   - Minutes No. 3 - 2-20-03
   - Minutes No. 4 - 4-10-03
   - University Council Members 2002-2003

Proceedings 2001-2002

Past Proceedings 1997-2000

2002-2003

UNIVERSITY COUNCIL

Minutes No. 1  2002-2003
Thursday, October 24, 2002


I.  CALL TO ORDER AND ATTENDANCE: The James Madison University Council met on Thursday, October 24, 2002.

PRESENT:   Mr. Ralph Alberico, Dr. Violet Allain, Dr. Patricia Brady, Dr. Teresa Gonzalez (for Doug Brown), Dr. Michael Busing, Ms. Andrea Fischetti, Dr. Karen Forcht, Dr. Steve Frysinger, Mr. John Horigan, Mr. Charles King, Dr. Sharon Lovell, Dr. Ramon Mata-Toledo, Dr. Lin Rose, Dr. Michael Smilowitz, Dr. Kathy Stafford, Mr. Levar Stoney, Dr. William Walker, Dr. Mark Warner, Dr. Richard Whitman, Ms. Emily Wyman, and Dr. David Zimmerman.

ABSENT:   Dr. Jerry Benson, Dr. David Brakke, Ms. Donna Harper, and Dr. Robert Reid.

II.  ELECTION OF SECRETARY:

The secretary to University Council must be appointed by Council.  Duties of the position include preparing and electronically posting the agenda for members of Council, recording attendance, and recording and electronically posting copies of the minutes.

On motion of Dr. Dick Whitman and seconded by Dr. Mark Warner, Ms. Donna Burch was appointed secretary to the Council for 2002-2003.

Other Business:

Dr. Rose announced that the Council would meet electronically unless there are action items on the agenda or if there is a specific request to hold the meeting. This proved to be effective and time saving for everyone for the past several years when Faculty Senate requested the change. With decentralization within the university, it was not productive for this body to consider issues when it could be dealt with effectively within other units.  Therefore the remainder of the meetings will be done electronically. The procedure will be: Reports will be sent from the commission/committee chairs to Ms. Burch, secretary to the Council, two weeks before the scheduled meeting. For the November meeting, she will e-mail you to let you know that they are available for your review. You will need to review these minutes and send Ms. Burch (burchde) an e-mail message by 5:00 p.m. on the day of the meeting stating that you have done so. If she does not hear from you, then you are counted as absent.

If anyone has any concerns or questions about this process, please let me know.

III.  COMMISSION/COUNCIL REPORTS:

Committee on Academic Programs:

Dr. Steve Frysinger, Chair, forwarded the following report.

The Committee on Academic Programs (CAP) held its first meeting of the 2002-3 academic year on October 11th, 2002. Four topics were discussed.

 

Certificate Programs Proposal:

Bill Walker described their proposal for handling academic certificate programs. While there was no action required by the CAP, the discussion was lively and productive. Since in the proposed plan proposals for such certificate program would go through the normal C&I process, the CAP will see them only if there is inter-college dispute.

 

Interdisciplinary Programs Proposal:

Teresa Gonzalez described a proposal by the Committee of College C&I Chairs to facilitate the handling of interdisciplinary program proposals, and a brief discussion ensued.

 

Dean's and President's List Qualifications:

Teresa indicated that the Faculty Senate had voted to recommend a change in the credit hour requirements for Dean's and President's list qualifications. She asked whether the CAP felt that it should have a role in approving such a change, and the sentiment of the committee was that it should not, given that this policy has traditionally been handled by the Senate.

 

BA/BS Degree Requirements:

We continued our discussion of the BA/BS requirements, with the intention of arriving at a recommendation for dealing with definitions of such terms as "mathematics" as pertains to the determination of which courses can satisfy the various requirements for degrees. We hope to resolve this in our next meeting (November 22nd).

 

Graduate Council:


Dr. N. William Walker, Interim Dean, forwarded the following report:

 

The Graduate Council met both electronically and as scheduled for the months of September 2002 and October 2002. The following actions may be reported:

 

Old Business:

Administrative approvals during summer 2002

-Fifty-two Faculty/Instructor approvals

-Thirteen Minor Change Request approvals

-Six electronic Faculty/Instructor approvals

-Seven electronic Course Approval/Changes approved

 

New Business included the following:

•  New policies adopted: 

-Transfer of Courses into A JMU Graduate Program

-Graduate Teaching Assistants: Training and English Language Competency

-Continuous Graduate Enrollment

-Extending Doctoral Program Timeline

•  Issues under discussion:

-Grading change discussion for Graduate Programs

-How students who have completed a program but need to come back for endorsement are entered and   captured in the student information system

-Purchasing or developing standard templates for dissertations/theses

-Procedure for creating and approving policies for "Graduate Programs of Distinction"

-Advising enhancement initiative presented by Karyn Sproles

-Use of Web Manager presented by Andy Perrine

-Entry tests for MFA

-Cooperative program with Radford and George Mason University

 

3.  Comments from Stephanie Dupal regarding Graduate Student Association:

The goal of the GSA is to create a community for graduate students that will encompass academic, social, intramural, and seasonal activities.  The Steering Committee is composed of five students who expressed an interest in a survey by Barbra Gabriel and Lennie Echterling, faculty advisers for the GSA. Stephanie Dupal asked that each graduate program nominate a student to represent them on the GSA. The GSA will meet regularly and operate much like the Graduate Council.  An Open House for all Graduate Students to get acquainted is set for October 23 at Grade Street House.  Workshops facilitated by and for graduate students will be offered.  Graduate coordinators were encouraged to get involved with the GSA both as coordinator and on an individual basis in order to get acquainted with students from other disciplines.

 

4.  Comments from the Graduate Council representatives to the Committee on Academic Programs:

Dr. Foucar-Szocki explained that the CAP committee looks at new program establishment and how the new program fits into the mission of the University.  Graduate student representation is needed on the committee.

 

5.  Comments from the College of Business about on-line executive graduate programs:

Cathy Sullivan presented information on the MBA and MSA on-line executive graduate programs and encouraged other graduate programs to look into the opportunities afforded by distance learning.

 

6.  Comments from Reid Linn regarding cooperative program with Radford and George Mason University:

Reid Linn commented on discussion taking place with Radford and George Mason University to develop a consortium that will offer courses for endorsement. All courses for endorsement would be accepted no matter where they are taken; however, each university would still maintain the teacher education programs. This would provide a method for reporting MAT programs to SCHEV

 

Announcements:

-Dr. Walker sent out an e-mail regarding the JKC scholarships - note our funding web site www.jmu.edu/cgapp/funding.htm

-The Graduate Fair will be held November 14 in the College Ball Room in cooperation with the senior class. Each graduate program is encouraged to have a table.

-A bulk e-mail will be sent out to graduate students informing them of the new Continuous Enrollment Policy.


 

IV.   REPORT OF THE FACULTY SENATE
Dr. Michael Smilowitz  forwarded the following report:  

 

A. Bond Initiative

Between 80% and 90% of the faculty signed the "letters to advisees" that were circulated by the Senate.

 

B. Standing Committees

Academic Policies:

1. The Senate approved the following revision in the Catalog's wording for selection to the President's List.

 

"To qualify for the honor of being placed on the President's List, a student must earn a grade point average of 3.90 or above in at least 12 graded hours of course work."  (Changed from previous requirement of 14 hours).

 

On motion of Michael Smilowitz, seconded by Steve Frysinger, the above revision for the selection to the President's List was approved by Council.

 

2. The Committee (along with the Faculty Concerns Committee) responded to the Academic Advising Initiative, by asking for clarification about the specific nature and magnitude of the need for additional actions regarding academic advising.

 

Faculty Concerns Committee:

3. The Committee is gathering information regarding the conversion of current RTA faculty with ranks of assistant professor and above to tenure-track positions.

4. The Committee is gathering information to determine if the Faculty Handbook's description of tenure procedures requires revision to provide University-wide consistency on processes such as the composition of the PAC committees that provide in-progress reviews of tenure-track faculty, the placement of spouses on review committees, and clarifying procedures for joint appointments.

 

Student/Faculty Relations:

5. The Committee has identified a number of recommendations to improve the attendance of students at the presentations of major speakers.

6. A representative of SGA now sits with the Senate.

 

C. Ad Hoc Committees

Faculty Emeriti Committee:

The committee has met, organized by Professor Emmert.  The committee is finding that:  (1) some concerns that seemed to need attention actually do not and (2) some other concerns actually require much more investigation than what was thought necessary.

 

Day Care Initiative:

The Committee has surveyed the faculty and nearly completed analyzing the survey data.  Information has been gathered on "in-house day care centers" at other organizations, both private and public.  The Committee expects to present its preliminary report, including an operation plan, to the Senate at the November meeting.

 

"Expanding Horizons" Project:

Thomas Harrison Middle School has agreed to provide students for the project, and its counseling staff is currently identifying the first 24 participants.

 

 

V.     REPORT OF THE STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION
Mr. Levar Stoney, SGA President, forwarded the attached report.

 

September 11th: A Day of Remembrance

In remembrance of the tragedies of September 11, 2001, the JMU community united once again to reflect and honor the victims of that horrific day.  The Student Government Association (SGA) along with a coalition of clubs and organizations across campus coordinated a display of events that were both honorable and solemn. The events commenced with a morning interfaith prayer service attended by many.  During the afternoon hours, clubs and organizations passed out red, white, and blue ribbons in honor of the victims.  In addition, the Wilson Hall bell tolled four separate times marking the time of impact of each airliner.  At noon, the university as whole observed a moment of silence together on the Quad.  The presentation of the colors by the JMU ROTC and the playing of "Taps" by two trumpeters representing the Marching Royal Dukes prefaced the moment of silence.  The lasting image of students, faculty, staff, and administrators standing in silence for more than ten minutes will always resonate in the minds of those who attended.

 

The evening candlelight vigil reenacted an event that was spontaneously planned the year before.  On this occasion a vast amount of students joined in the creation of a beautiful illumination of lights.  Students also heard words from JMU President Dr. Linwood Rose and SGA President Levar Stoney.  These words were followed by an opportunity for students to reflect and share the impact of September 11th at an open microphone.  Attendance at this event exceeded that of last year's and showed the appreciation and respect many students had for this memorable day.

 

In culmination to our September 11th efforts, the SGA is viewing the possibilities of creating a memorial in honor of the three JMU alums and the parent that perished in the attacks.  This project is currently being pursued by President Stoney and the four class council presidents.  The vision is to collect donations for the planting of four trees and placing of plaques near the Leeolou Alumni Center.  It is our hope that this site will be one of remembrance for all who attend the university in the future.

 

Virginia 2002 Higher Education & Parks Bond Referendum

In effort to bring the Virginia 2002 Higher Education Bond Referendum to fruition, the SGA has been working closely with administration to spread awareness of the issue both on and off campus. The SGA conducted an intense voter registration drive in the first week of October, which reaped record amounts in both voter registration and absentee ballot applications. These drives were conducted by the Student Senate's Legislative Action Committee on the Commons and in the College Center. Student Senate also overwhelmingly passed a resolution in support of the 2002 Bond Referendum. 

 

The SGA also launched an advertisement campaign entitled "What Would You Do With $99.9 Million?"  This corresponds with the amount of funds JMU would be receiving for projects from the bond referendum. The campaign was unveiled to the community and local media at a press conference in one of James Madison University's most decrepit buildings, Theater II, which is due for renovation upon the passage of the bond.  The campaign will consist of posting of posters and a website especially dedicated to the Virginia 2002 Bond Referendum. This campaign will help in the education and awareness of the issue, and show how important it is that the students utilize their right to vote in the upcoming election.

 

In addition, the SGA plans to conduct a grassroots campaign of door knocking in the community to spread the word about the importance of the referendum to Harrisonburg and JMU.  The SGA will also follow in line with other universities in the Commonwealth and try to perform a phone banking effort to encourage students to vote on Election Day. SGA President Levar Stoney has also help the cause by writing letters to the editors of the school newspaper, The Breeze.  He plans to do the same for the Harrisonburg newspaper, the Daily News Record.

 

The James Madison University Budget Crisis

With the announcement of Governor Mark Warner's budget reductions on October 15th the university is expected to face a 10.4 percent cut.  The SGA understands with such a cut that the possibility of a tuition increase may occur.  Currently, Student Government Association is deeply concerned about the implementation of such a measure as a mid year raise in tuition, but the Student Senate has not debated nor responded to legislation on this issue as of yet.  As responsible student representatives we are thoroughly seeking, researching, and discussing the facts of this critical issue.  The SGA only wants the best for the everyday JMU student.  In order to find where the everyday student stands on the issue the SGA plans to hold a campus wide referendum on October 21st at the Commons, ISAT, and in Zane Showker Hall.  Earlier this week after polling 8% of the student body, the SGA passed a resolution in support of a $150 mid-year tuition hike.

 

Student Senate Focus: Community Affairs

This year the SGA plans on taking a proactive role in the Harrisonburg community to improve and strengthen the relationship between Harrisonburg and JMU, through better communication and by developing a working relationship with city officials.  This task has been closely pursued by the Student Senate's Community Affairs Committee under the leadership of Chairwoman Jenny Brockwell.

 

Already this year, the committee has attended every City Council meeting since the commencement of the new school year. Jenny Brockwell gave a speech to the city council and has met with the Mayor, City Planners, City Clerk, the Daily News-Record (DNR), and Chamber of Commerce President on a regular basis. The committee also promoted downtown restaurants for Parent's Weekend, and has appointed two students (non voting members) to sit on the Harrisonburg Transportation Commission.

Currently, the committee is working on receiving the DNR on campus to be purchased by students. They also are working to place JMU paraphernalia downtown and in the Harrisonburg Business District. To show that the SGA wants a long lasting relationship the committee is in the process of creating a Clubs and Organization Thanksgiving Food Drive Challenge. This will hopefully help needy families in the Harrisonburg community for the holiday.

 

Furthermore, the committee collected monetary donations for the Harrisonburg Deputy Sheriff who lost his house to fire. They will also be assisting in the campus-wide volunteer day with University Program Board and Student Ambassadors, and work to produce a State Dinner between city, community, and student leaders and student leaders.

Moreover, the committee plans to hold an outside movie on Main Street/Court Square for the citizens of Harrisonburg, give JMU/SGA reports in the Chamber of Commerce Newsletter, promote more student attendance at council/community meetings, and promote more community service opportunities. We look forward to having city leaders to speak at Student Senate meetings and continue our reports at future city council meetings.

 

Spring Semester Focus

Next semester the SGA will be looking at the following 2 issues: 

-Will establish an ad hoc committee to review and possibly revise the Senate Constitution. 

-The SGA will look into instituting on-line voting to encourage more students to participate in the election of SGA officers.

 

VI.    REPORT OF THE HONOR COUNCIL
Mr. John Horigan, Honor Council President, provided the following information.

 

With a new year and a new executive board for the Honor Council there come new challenges.  We are fully dedicated to meeting these challenges and going above and beyond what will be required of us to do so. 

 

In this report you will find information regarding several issues with which we are currently dealing, including: Code Violations, the Honor Advisory Board, Code revisions, as well as New Officers and Representatives.  This report will be as brief as possible without sacrificing necessary content, and should be easily understood.  For those parts of the report that may require explanation a short overview is included in this, the first of my reports to the University Council, but will be excluded from subsequent reports. 

 

We are looking forward to a great academic year with as few Code Violations as possible. 

 

Case Update:           

Informal resolutions are agreements between a faculty member and a student accused of violating the Honor Code.  The agreement is essentially a contract between the instructor and the student regarding the violation, generally including an admission of guilt, and the sanction for that violation.  The maximum sanction that may be imposed by this course of action is failure of the course without the option to repeat/forgive.  Average number of Informal Resolutions for any academic year is highly variable.  

 

Total Informal Resolutions for 2001-2002:  53

As of 10/18/02 for 2002-2003:     8

 

Formal Resolutions are hearings granted to a student accused of violating the code for any of the following reasons: First, the accused refuses to sign an Informal Resolution, or denies guilt.  Second, the faculty member involved deems the violation too serious to be dealt with by only one faculty member.  Third, the student has one or two prior violations, whether informal or formal.  A Formal Resolution requires that a hearing panel be convened with four students (three Honor Council Representatives and the Council Vice President), and three faculty representatives as the deliberations panel.  The decision of guilt is made before intent and sanctioning.  Only after a decision regarding guilt is made is the panel informed of any prior violations.  Minimum sanctions that apply are as follows: for a first violation there is no minimum sanction.  For a second violation suspension for one academic semester and failure of the course without the option to repeat forgive.  Lastly, for a third violation the minimum sanction is expulsion.  In past years the average number of Formal Resolutions per year has fluctuated around two. 

 

Total Formal Resolutions for 2001-2002:  19

As of 8/6/02 for Summer Session 2002:  2 cases pending

As of 10/18/02 for Fall 2003:  2 under investigation

 

Appeals are granted to students if and only if there was a violation of the rights of the accused, there is new evidence regarding the case, or the decision of the hearing body is deemed too severe.  Special Panels are hearing panels consisting of one faculty member and two student representatives.  These panels are used only during the times indicated by the code to expedite a case. 

 

Total number of Appeals/Special Panels for 2001-2002:  8

 

New Representatives are added to the council at the start of each semester.  Any full- time student, undergraduate or graduate may apply.  We have begun training 15 new representatives.  New representatives are:

 

Naheed Ahmed

Kevin Gibson

Daphne Anderson

Joseph Johnson

Kelli Baker

Katherine Ott

Bellamy Brown

Rachel Seidenburg

Rebecca Carter

Crysta Swarts

Alex Childs

Cory Winter

Brandon Durflinger

Nicholas Villani

Aaron George

 

 

Three Investigators are chosen by the Honor Advisory Board from among a pool of applicants in April of the Spring Semester preceding their term.  Katie Ferguson and Andrea Futty were chosen from among other applicants.  The third Investigator has since resigned and John Gotwald was chosen by members of the Honor Advisory Board from among five applicants to fill the vacant position.  

 

The Honor Advisory Board is the board that oversees the actions of the Honor Council, in particular amendments to the Academic Integrity policies of James Madison University.  The board members have just recently been appointed and plan to meet as soon as possible.   

 

The first code revision that will be proposed is a change in the second tier sanction.  Currently the sanction for a second offense is failure of the course in question without the option to repeat forgive and suspension for one academic semester.  The executive committee of the council will propose that at this second offense a notation be placed on the student's transcript indicating that a code violation was the cause for the failing grade.  Under current sanctioning provisions, only the third tier sanction of expulsion has any reference to a code violation. 

 

After revision by the Honor Advisory Board, this amendment will then be taken to the other appropriate bodies of the university for approval. 

 

 

Center for Academic Integrity:  The Honor Council Coordinator, Maggie Burkhart-Evans, and Honor Council President, John D. Horigan, attended the Annual International Conference for the Center for Academic Integrity hosted by The University of Virginia in Charlottesville, VA, October 4th-6th.  The conference was deemed to be a huge success by all members of the Center in attendance. 

 

While at the conference, John D. Horigan was nominated to sit as a member of the Board of Directors for the Center for Academic Integrity.  This nomination requires university approval as the position will necessitate institutional support.  

 

    

VII.   REPORT OF UPB
Ms. Emily Wyman, the Executive Director for the University Program Board, presented the following report.

 

The University Program Board has gotten off to a running start this semester with events like the Heads vs. Feds debate, the Hoobastank Convo concert, the Maasai Dance Troupe show, the International film festival, the Virginia Docufilm festival, and our first sneak preview of the year: Red Dragon.  Tonight we are running the Talent Jam show in Wilson Hall and this year has been one of the most successful in terms of the quantity and variety of acts that were submitted.

 

Upcoming events for us include two concerts: Howie Day and Nickelcreek.  November brings four co-sponsorships. We will be co-sponsoring the movies Run Lola Run with EQUAL, and The Goonies with Habitat for Humanities.  UPB will also be supporting the Asian Student Union's fourth annual Culture Show.  On November 11th we will be bringing a speaker to do a program entitled "What Everyone Needs to Know about Islam" with the Muslim Student Association.  We are very excited about this program in particular because we feel it is extremely relevant and helps to fulfill our mission of educating the student body.

 

We are continually looking for new co-sponsorships, programs and especially a Convocation concert for the spring semester.

 

 

ADJOURNMENT

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 4:35 p.m.

 

NOTE:   The next meeting is scheduled to meet electronically Thursday, November  21, 2002.  

 

 

 

 

Linwood H. Rose, President

 

 

Donna E. Burch, Secretary

James Madison University logo PUBLISHER: President's Office, MSC 7608, Harrisonburg, VA 22807 - PHONE: (540) 568-6868 - FAX: (540) 568-2338
FOR INFORMATION CONTACT: Donna Burch - Privacy Statement
Last Modified: 10/30/2003