Madison Script
James Madison University

University Council

Agenda 2003-2004

Proceedings 2003-2004

University Council Members 2003-2004

Proceedings 2002-2003

Proceedings 2001-2002

   - Agenda 2001-2002
   - Minutes 1 - 2001-2002
   - Minutes 2 - 2001-2002
   - Minutes 3 - 2001-2002
   - Minutes 4 - 2001-2002

Past Proceedings 1997-2000

Minutes 1 - 2001-2002



Minutes No. 1   2001-2002
Thursday, October 25, 2001

I.  CALL TO ORDER AND ATTENDANCE: The James Madison University Council met on Thursday, October 25, 2001, in Taylor 306, with Dr. Linwood Rose, President, presiding.

PRESENT: Mr. Ralph Alberico, Dr. Violet Allain (for Dr. Linda Halpern), Dr. Doug Brown, Dr. Stephanie Chisolm, Mr. Brandon Durflinger, Ms. Rachel Franco, Dr. John Gilje, Ms. Dona Gilliam, Dr. Art Hamilton, Ms. Donna Harper, Mr. Charles King, Ms. Meghann McCroskey, Mr. Dave Mills, Dr. Bill O'Meara, Dr. James Ruff, Dr. Craig Shealy, Dr. Anne Stewart, Dr. William Walker, and Dr. Richard Whitman.

ABSENT: Dr. Jerry Benson, Dr. David Brakke, Dr. Barbara Castello, Mr. Charles Crosson, Dr. Robert Reid, Dr. Robert Scott, and Dr. Mark Warner.


The secretary to University Council must be appointed by Council.  Duties of the position include preparing and electronically posting the agenda for members of Council, recording attendance, and recording and electronically posting copies of the minutes.

On motion of Dr. Dick Whitman and seconded by Dr. Violet Allain, Ms. Donna Burch was appointed secretary to the Council for 2001-2002.


Committee on Academic Programs:

This committee had not met.

Graduate Council:

Dr. William Walker, Chair, presented the following report.  The first meeting was October 11, 2001.  

·         Eighteen faculty members were given graduate faculty status, five were given adjunct instructor status and ten were given graduate instructor status.

·         Eight course numbering changes

·         One course prefix change

·         Nine minor course description changes

·         One cross-listed course was deleted

·         One prerequisite addition

·         One minor course change

·         Three graduate program changes

·         One minor course title change

·         Seven courses were approved for a credit hour requirement change

Old Business:  None

New Business:  Included the following:

·                     New policies regarding council membership and the criteria for a voting quorum were introduced and passed by the council.

·                     Discussion concerning the "walking early" policy.  Dr. Walker indicated he would investigate options.  Some points of the discussion included the issue of  graduate students walking in May commencement needs to be studied more carefully, e.g. students may receive an “F” in a last semester course (after walking) or not pass Comps. The possibility of having a separate graduation ceremony through the College of Graduate and Professional Programs or by each individual college was also discussed. Dr. Walker will investigate these options and report back to the council.

·                     Discussion regarding the Graduate faculty approval policy included the possibility of streamlining the reapplication process perhaps using the PAC’s review process, and the need to revisit the criteria for graduate faculty approval.

·                     Dr. Walker notified graduate council that there was no specific Graduate School policy concerning graduate assistants having “dual employment” other than they cannot work over 40 hours per week. Discretion in allowing GA’s to assume too many hours was advised.

·                     Notification that the College of Graduate and Professional Programs would be emphasizing the offering of certificate programs. Concerns were raised in regard to other, existing certificate programs, and SACS requirements.

·                     The issue of CommonWealth Classroom usage was raised. GAPP will be investigating the fiscal efficiency of the classroom.

·                     Council members voted on to a newly formed university wide Academic Programs Committee were announced.  

·                     Dr. Walker indicated he will attempt to organize a university-wide graduate fair for JMU undergraduate students in the near future.

Commission on Community:

Dr. Anne Stewart gave the following report.  

The Commission on Community met October 18, 2001. The committee’s  primary charge for 2001-2002 is to conduct an assessment of the university climate.  The assessment is to include faculty, staff, and students.  The committee was informed of the charge and discussed factors to consider in completing this important work.  Factors to consider included:

·         delineating the scope of work

·         identifying existing diversity initiatives and data sources

·         specifying meaningful outcomes

·         contacting relevant constituencies

·         procuring sufficient support to conduct the work in a high quality manner

·         using appropriate internal resources and expertise

·         hiring an external consultant

The committee members strongly recommended requesting a more detailed description of the charge from the Office of the President.  An ambitious timeline was presented and strategies for identifying a competent consultant were discussed.  Committee membership was reviewed in light of the charge.  The committee members named possible candidates for affiliation with the committee.  

The committee identified preliminary data collection activities to begin and specific tasks were assigned to members.

The committee members would like to seek support for establishing and maintaining a website with information about diversity activities and organizations.  It was stated that this site would also inform the external consultant about the status of diversity at JMU.

Activities to Date:  A recommendation from the previous year was to establish on-going connections with other groups conducting diversity-related activities.  Therefore, the Commission chair met periodically with representatives of the Office of Affirmative Action, the Diversity Initiatives Team, and the Psychology Diversity Committee.  As a result, the Commission on Community co-sponsored two events in September.

·                     The 2nd Annual Community Connections Reception was held in conjunction with Franklin Street Gallery on September 28, 2001.  Nearly 80 JMU and Harrisonburg/ Rockingham community members attended.  The Office of the President financially supported the event.  The Commission would like to consider accepting responsibility for co-hosting the event on an annual basis.

·                     A workshop titled, The End of All ‘ISM’s’ was held on September 21 and 28, 2001.  Subcommittees with special interests have been created from this activity.  The subcommittees have agreed to inform the Commission about their activities and will explore opportunities to work collaboratively with Commission members.


Dr. William O'Meara presented the following report:

The Board of Visitors has approved the new Faculty Senate Constitution which was proposed by the Senate in spring, 2001, and which the faculty voted to approve it with 92.5% "yes" vote as opposed to those voting "no" (385 votes out of 416).   

The Senate also approved unanimously the following Bylaw in our September, 2001 meeting:

            Section 2. Conduct of Senate Business

E.  (Entirely New)

Proposed constitutional amendments require readings of the proposed amendment at two regularly scheduled or specially called meetings of the senate.  Discussion at a faculty senate meeting may only take place after the full text of the amendment has been electronically distributed at least two weeks before the second reading to all members of the faculty.  The senate must endorse proposed amendments by a two-thirds majority vote of the full membership of the senate before submitting the amendment to the full faculty for a vote.

Summer Activities and Senate Meetings in September and October

During the summer the Faculty Senate Steering Committee and the Chair of the Faculty Senate met with Dr. Brown and discussed the following issues:

Summer Salaries:  Dr. Brown and Mr. David Eton had a substantial discussion with the Faculty Senate about summer salaries at the April 26 meeting of the Senate.   During the summer, the Speaker of the Senate completed a survey of summer pay practices at our peer institutions.  The survey shows that many of our peer institutions have better pay scales than we do for summer pay.  Since job offers are being turned down by applicants at JMU because they are getting better summer pay elsewhere, for example, 33 1/3 %, we have submitted the results of the survey to Dr. Brown and the deans for their examination of ways to improve our summer pay scale.  The results of the survey are available at:

Survey on Merit Pay:  The Speaker met in the summer with Dr. Brown to review various items, including the faculty dissatisfaction with the merit pay process.  We also talked about these matters in late August with Dr. Brown in our Steering committee meeting and agreed that a survey of faculty on merit pay would be very useful to his office.  The Speaker has asked the Faculty Concerns Committee to do a survey this fall of all faculty about their views on merit pay, cost of living raises, percentage and fixed dollar amount raises, and salary compression.

            Survey on Factors Affecting Retirement:  Dr. Brown and the Speaker discussed during the summer an article on retirement in the July/August issue of Trusteeship.  This article pointed out that 44.4 percent of all tenured faculty members were ages 55 and older in 1999 and that 16.9 percent of all tenured faculty members plan to retire within the next five years, with another 22.3 percent planning to retire within the next six to ten years.   Dr. Brown and the Speaker agreed that the Faculty Concerns Committee should develop a survey of faculty on why faculty choose to retire and on negative and positive factors affecting their decisions to retire.

Faculty Morale Survey:  In spring the Senate completed a survey on faculty morale.  The Speaker discussed the statistical results with the Academic Council during the summer.  The Senate Steering Committee has been meeting with Dr. Brown and developing summaries of written comments from the faculty.  We are writing a report, listing the five major concerns with supporting examples for the university as a whole and for each college.  The Senate Steering Committee will meet with Dr. Brown and the deans in late October or early November to review the report and to discuss positive recommendations for responding to the concerns of faculty.


Mr. Dave Mills, SGA President, distributed his report to all Council members.  Copy attached to this Report.

Ms. Meghann McCroskey, Honor Council President, presented the following report..

Case Update:   As of the Fall 2001 Semester

5   Formal Resolutions 

12 Informal Resolutions

New Members:   The Honor Council accepted nine new student representatives last month.  Three have recently dropped due to unseen time commitments elsewhere.    The representatives were evaluated on a written application and an interview.  The representatives have participated in the “New Representative Program,” which was designed to give guidance and training of the duties and intricacies of the Honor System.  These new representatives are not fully educated on the Honor Code and Council and are now available to sit on hearings.

Honor Council Video:   This past summer we produced a 7-minute long video.  It entails information regarding the honor code, honor council and hearing procedures.  Since the beginning of this fall semester the honor council has presented the video to about 40 classrooms.  We have received positive responses from both the students and faculty.  The Honor Council is available and trained to give presentations to both students and faculty.


Honor Advisory Board:   The Honor Advisory Board met October 8.  At that meeting we introduced new members, discussed and watched the video and talked about a code change.  A possible code change would be to have some wording that would state that a student can not drop a course.

Meeting with Dr. Rose:   Meghann McCroskey, Honor Council President, and Ben Mallory, Honor Council Vice President, met with Dr. Rose.  At this meeting we discussed the video and how to use it most efficiently, dorm presentations, and replacing Honor Code plaques in the classrooms.

Ms. Rachel Franco, presented the following report.

The University Program Board, within its first few months of the semester, has already programmed several events for the JMU students, faculty and community.  Several of these programs have been in collaboration with other organizations, such as Coretta Scott King and G.O.L.D.  All of our events strive to entertain and educate JMU, and we hope to do so for the remainder of the semester.

One of the most significant additions to our Executive Board this year has been the Director of Arts Events, who is responsible for bringing a better awareness of the fine arts to JMU life.  The director of this committee, Katherine McDonald, helped UPB kick off the year on September 5th with her event, “Birdland: A Selection of Jazz and Wildlife Drawings by artist Frank DuVal.”  The Dolley Madison Room of Taylor Hall was converted into a small art gallery, where Mr. DuVal was able to display his watercolor paintings for art lovers to see.

Along with the art gallery idea, Ms. McDonald has been working on creating “E-Motion: an online gallery” that will be linked off of the UPB website.  Each month, an artist from JMU of the community will be selected by the Arts Events committee to have his or her artwork featured on the website.

Following the Arts Events program, on September 6th, UPB was able to bring Shenandoah Shakespeare Express to perform, “As You Like It” on the quad.  The University Program Board was able to attract families from the community, students, and faculty alike to this event.

One of our most surprising, yet successful events took place on October 3rd.  The University Program Board brought its first musical act, Blues Traveler a band known for its blues/rock style.  With less than a week to organize and advertise this event, UPB was still able to fill Wilson up with eager and excited fans.

Three of our events have also been co-sponsored events.  On September 21st, UPB worked with Student Organization Services (SOS) in organizing the first late night event of the year.  The movies, Austin Powers 1 and 2 were shown on a large screen late that night on the quad.  Despite the cold, 300 or so students came out to enjoy the movies.  Late night events are trying to be incorporated here at JMU as an alternative to partying during the weekends.

Our most successful event, Coretta Scott King, the wife of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., spoke about the legacy of her late husband in Wilson Hall on October 17th.  The University Program Board sponsored this event, along with the Center for Multicultural and International Student Services, Black Student Alliance, and NAACP. Wilson Hall was filled to capacity, as audience members listened to Mrs. King speak of Martin Luther King Jr., and of the social changes that have been overcome since her time, and of the changes that still need to be made.

On October 22nd in the PC Ballroom, G.O.L.D, the government officials’ legislative discussion took place.  Sponsored with the March of Dimes, G.O.L.D was an awareness discussion about the March of Dimes, and what students here at JMU can do.

With the variety of programs the University Program Board is able to bring to our campus, we consistently aim in providing the JMU community with the experience of diverse and enlightening events.


Dr. Rose then addressed the Council members explaining the process for future meetings.  A motion was made and passed by the Council several years ago recommending that University Council meetings be held electronically unless someone requested an actual in-person meeting.  So unless there is one requested, all future meetings for the 2001-2002 year will be held electronically.


There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 4:30 p.m.


NOTE:  The next meeting is scheduled to meet electronically Thursday, November 29, 2001.  



Linwood H. Rose, President



Donna E. Burch, Secretary





For questions, please contact





James Madison University logo PUBLISHER: President's Office, MSC 7608, Harrisonburg, VA 22807 - PHONE: (540) 568-6868 - FAX: (540) 568-2338
FOR INFORMATION CONTACT: Donna Burch - Privacy Statement
Last Modified: 10/30/2003