Welcome Families, Graduates, and Guests!
Welcome! We are excited to have you visit the beautiful Shenandoah Valley and our lovely campus for James Madison University's 2014 December Commencement (Saturday, December 14) or the 2015 May Commencement Weekend (Friday, May 7 and Saturday, May 8, 2015).
You do not need tickets to attend the University Commencement Ceremony and seating is first come first served.
For May some colleges/departments also have events planned for graduates and their families and information will be provided soon.
We are pleased to offer accessible seating and parking for guests, including those with limited mobility. Please ask an Usher to direct you to the appropriate handicapped seating when you arrive. In addition, due to limited availablity for handicapped seating we ask that the individual needing accessible seating and only 1 guest sit in this area provided.
Here are a few tips to make your weekend more enjoyable:
- Be prepared for weather (jackets, gloves, hats or sunblock, umbrella, etc.). We remain outdoors in rain and the stadium is not covered.
- Dress per your comfort level (business-casual is common) or for the event you plan to attend following Commencement.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes! (Bring bandaids for blisters.)
- Consider carrying extra camera batteries.
- Bring activities for young children do quietly in their seats.
- Please consider bringing a wheelchair or transport chair for the comfort and safety of elderly guests.
- No alcohol, glass bottles, or pets at the Convocation Center, Bridgeforth Stadium or any College cerremony.
- Make sure ALL family/guests know the graduate's college AND department.
- Diplomas are mailed to graduates per the Registrar's Office guidelines.
Planning Your Weekend
To help plan your travel schedule and weekend itinerary, we will post weekend events (as we are informed of them). Because colleges, departments and student groups plan their own events for Commencement Weekend, there is no helpful one-size-fits-all weekend itinerary that we can post for students/families. Additional details will be forthcoming. Enjoy the festive weekend!