Frequently asked questions

Click on the topic below for answers to your questions:


Appeals to Register

Applying for Teacher Education

Conceptual Framework

Getting around Memorial Hall

Graduating Without Completing my Program



Program Requirements

Program Sequence

Registering for Classes


Student Teaching

Study Abroad


1.  How can I get more information about Study Abroad?

2.  Can I do my student teaching abroad?

3.  What is the Conceptual Framework?

  • The conceptual framework captures our vision and provides direction for programs, courses, teaching, candidate performance, scholarship, service, and unit accountability.

4.  How do I apply for scholarships?   

Every spring the scholarships sponsored through the College of Education are offered to eligible teacher education students. Each scholarship has different criteria; some are need-based, others are not. Fill out a general application form usually placed on tables outside the Assistant Dean’s office and other places around Memorial Hall. Note: The letter you write as part of your application makes a substantial impact on your chances to earn a scholarship. Applications for these are due early in the spring semester and information on these can be found in the MH 3270 after the first of the year. 

College-Wide Education Scholarships

  • Perry & Mabel Spitzer Scholarship
  • Alumni Class  of 1935
  • Marie B. Baird & Sannie Baird
  • Peggy Hanna Brooks  Burruss
  • Carolyn Morrison Chapman
  • Beverly Harris
  • Cornelius J. Heatwole
  • Elizabeth Houser-Bauserman Andrews
  • Christopher Carl Hoffman
  • Anna McCarthey
  • Peter Pruden
  • Taliaferro Family
  • Joyce Wood
  • Eleanor E. Wright Memorial

For scholarships and loans that ARE targeted to education students:

Department Specific Education Scholarships

Check with your department regarding application procedures and criteria:

Early, Elementary and Reading

  • Shirley Merlin
  • Charles G. Caldwell
  • Goldberg
  • Carol Carter Fitzgerald Elem. Ed.
  • Frazier Scholarship
  • Garney Darrin/Wilhelmina Hill
  • Z.S. Dickerson
  • Fenlon Memorial
  • Gail Hudson Guthrie
  • Hubbard
  • Jessica Maureen Chabot
  • Marcella Dunlap
  • Ora Y. Sharp
  • Elsie Wigley

Exceptional Education

  • D. Perry & Sharon Brown
  • Julie Simon
  • Eddy Dalton
  • Betty Ball Mann

Middle, Secondary, & Mathematics

  • Betty Coe & Paul Cinquegrana
  • Beth Hefner
  • Beverly Ann Pearce Osterhoudt
  • Emily Virginia Bushong
  • Judit Blankenburg
  • Katherine Beale Godwin
  • Neatrour Elem. amp;amp; Middle School
  • Samuel 2_preview/tiny_mce/themes/adva nced/langs/en.js" type="text/javascript"> H. & Everlyn Shrum
  • Spitzer (Alpha) Family

For scholarships and loans that are NOT targeted to education students, see the JMU Financial Aid website

5.  How do I find my way around Memorial Hall?

  • The hundred’s digit in the room number indicates the floor of the building. For example if you are looking for 3200 it is on the second floor of Memorial Hall.
  • The 7,000’s are located to your right when entering Memorial via entrance A.
  • To go to ROTC (1,000’s), you go to the right from entrance A, and through the double doors like you are entering the gym. There are offices all along the edge there.

6.  How can I get help passing PRAXIS I or II?

*NOTE: Please pay attention to the dates of these books as they may be outdated.        


7.  When should I take the PRAXIS I?

  • You must pass it to get into your education courses (these typically start in your junior year, though may start earlier or later depending on your program ), it is required for admission into the Teacher Education program.
  • It is never too early to start taking this test.
  • You do NOT need to take the Praxis if you meet the following requirements: If you have a SAT combined verbal and math score of 1100 with minimum score of 530 verbal and 530 math; or an ACT composite score of 24 with a math score of 22 and English plus reading score of 46

8.  Can I student teach at home? Or someplace other than Harrisonburg?

  • Yes, you can student teach in Harrisonburg or at home if it is in one of JMU’s designated areas.  Some of these areas are: Tidewater, Richmond, Northern Virginia, and Roanoke
  • You cannot student teach in another state. You may choose to student teach internationally
  • If you have any more questions of where you can student teach, contact
  • Student teachers may not request positions in specific school divisions, at specific schools, or with specific teachers. 

9.  Can I work while I student teach?

  • Student teaching or internship is considered to be a full-time experience that takes precedence over all other responsibilities. Student teachers must limit outside employment or participation in extra-curricular activities, including athletics, during the placement.  In no case may outside responsibilities be scheduled during the hours required for student teaching. Student teachers will be asked to drop any activities that interfere with student teaching or internship.
  • Contact if you have more questions.

10.  When do I apply for student teaching?

11.  What are the specific timelines and requirements for applying to Teacher Education?

  • Students enrolled in 4-year or 5-year education programs should complete the application process during their sophomore year.
  • Transfer students, graduate students (not in JMU 5-year program), or licensure only candidates should complete the application process during the first semester of enrollment at JMU.
  • Requirements and Process:
  • To start the process go to

12.  Why do I need to subscribe to Tk20?

Tk20 will provide you access to important information, such as applications and required program assessments.  You will have access to the Teacher Education Unit Conceptual Framework and professional standards to evaluate your progress.  Tk20 will keep your field experience data for you and allow you to create portfolios to use for employment, presentations, and future certificate needs.

13. Why am I having trouble registering for education classes?

You must be fully accepted into teacher education in order to register for classes - so check your status to see if you are accepted.

If you are not accepted, complete your missing requirements - instructions can be found on the ESC website at:

If you are stil not accepted in time to register, you can contact your program with your appeal to be able to register for classes.

Your program will review your appeal an may do one of the following:

1. Admit you conditionally

2. Admit you provisionally

3. Refulse your admission

You have the right to appeal your program's decision.  Click here for more information.

14. Where do I go to get answers to my specific program requirements?

You can go to your advisor or contact the department heads, which are listed below.


*= program revision underway

15.  Can I graduate without a 5 year/graduate year? What would my options be at that point?

If you are enrolled in a 5-year education program, you will graduate with an undergraduate degree in your chosen major at the end of your undergraduate career. Although you will have taken some education courses, you will not have completed all of them. In order to complete your education program and be eligible for a teaching license, you will need to complete your 5th year, graduate work, which includes student teaching. Ask your education advisor about other options.

16.  Why do I have so many advisors?

  • Each advisor handles a different part of your academic career at JMU.
  • Depending upon your question, please see the advisor who specializes in that area. For example, if you want to know what content course will fulfill a GenEd requirement, see your major advisor. If you have questions about your major coursework, see your major advisor. If you have questions about your education coursework, see your education advisor. 
  • You will have a freshman advisor, major advisor, and an education (minor/preprofessional education program) advisor.

17.  How do I get a job?

How to get a job after graduation?

How to get a job while at JMU?

18.  What is the appeals process? When do I need to appeal?

19.  Which classes should I take this semester?

  • If you want to know about education coursework, see your Education Advisor.
  • If you want to know about major coursework, see you Major Advisor.
  • Contact your advisors early in your career in order to make certain you don’t take unneeded courses or miss out on certain opportunities.

Program Sequences:



Transfer Students

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can help answer my questions?

Education Ambassadors!

Click here for more information


Suggested Site by a JMU ELED student and T.E.A.C.H. Ambassador:

100 Essential Tips and Resources for Student Teachers