Secondary Education Program Requirements
Candidates are required to meet competencies identified by the state of Virginia as well as additional competencies required by the teacher education unit at JMU. The undergraduate program is designed to provide students with the prerequisite course offerings and experiences that form the required foundation for admission to the Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) Program. Candidates must complete a major, or the equivalent, in one of the arts and sciences disciplines closely associated with the desired teaching area.
The requirements for the undergraduate and graduate degrees are as follows:
|BA/Bs Undergraduate||Credit Hours|
|Pre-Professional Studies in Education||22-24|
|Graduate Level Professional Studies||35|
Graduate admission requirements for current JMU undergraduate candidates include:
- Personal qualities and dispositions that reflect effective development as a professional educator
- An overall GPA of 2.7 or higher
- Pass the Praxis II before completing 12 hours of graduate work
To be recommended for licensure, all candidates must:
- Meet all secondary education pre-professional (undergraduate) and professional (M.A.T.) program requirements
- Meet all admission, retention, and completion criteria for teacher education, including passing scores for both the Core Academic Skills for Educators assessment and the Praxis II Subject Assessment
- Meet performance and behavior standards as indicated by ratings on the program Dispositions Checklist
Current JMU undergraduate students: click here for a packet of information about the requirements for secondary education MAT program admission and completion.
Secondary Licensure Areas
Mathematics, English, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Earth and Space Science, French, Spanish, German, Italian, History and Social Science (Social Studies)
Students who hold a baccalaureate degree in an appropriate content area, may apply to admission to the post-bac program. The requirements for licensure are identical to those stated above. However, there are additional admission requirements.
Additional admission requirements include:
- Minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.7
- Successful completion of the GRE (scores in the 25th percentile or higher in the verbal, quantitative and writing tests
- Passing Praxis II scores submitted prior to beginning MAT coursework
Additional admission requirements to be mailed directly to the Secondary Education Department Office:
- Two recommendation letters with at least one from a higher education professional
Each recommendation letter should address the following:
- Potential as a classroom teacher
- Oral and written expression
- Performance as a professional
- Potential to succeed in a graduate program
Post-baccalaureate applicants: click here for a packet of information about the requirements for secondary education MAT program admission and completion.