Where Can I Get Help Preparing for Praxis I and II?
Praxis I and II Preparation Information
Below are available resources to help you prepare for the Praxis I and II assessment tests:
- Sample Tests Online - Test descriptions, sample questions with answers, and test-taking strategies are available online by clicking on 'Tests at a Glance' on the Praxis website (www.ets.org/praxis).
- Test Preparation Materials in Carrier Library, ETMC, and Online through JMU Libraries -
a. Print Copies and e-Book Study Guides: Library Catalog Search
b. e-Book Study Guides: Library Catalog Search
- Study Guides - Study Guides are available from ETS and bookstores. Click on 'Study Guides' on the Praxis website (www.ets.org/praxis) to order a guide with sample tests, test-taking strategies, explanations of correct answers to each question, scoring keys, and scoring instructions. The cost is $20-$40. We also recommend Praxis I: PPST (Cliffs Test Prep) by Jerry Bobrow (click link for library information) or, available for purchase online or at bookstores ($16.99).
- Customized Feedback - The ETS Diagnostic Preparation Program provides detailed, customized feedback about your performance so that you may better understand your strengths and weaknesses and focus your test preparation efforts accordingly. This service may be ordered any time within four months after you take the test and includes a feedback report based on your personal scores. Click on 'Diagnostic Preparation Program' on the Praxis website (www.ets.org/praxis) for more information. The cost is $75-$175.
a. The Learning Strategies Instruction (LSI) program on the 2nd floor in Roop Hall can offer one-on-one tutoring for the Praxis I. LSI can assist in the following areas:
- Preparation (strategies for studying)
- Strategies for the day of the test
- Budgeting your time
- Reading and Writing Strategies
Test Analysis/Error Analysis for those who have already taken the Praxis:
- Understanding your scores
- Understanding requirements for a passing score for the James Madison University Education Program
- Error analysis for incorrect answers (types of questions or specific sections of the test)
Schedule appointments with a learning strategies specialist by calling 568-6705 and specify you are asking for Praxis help. Contact Rory Lazowski at email@example.com for more detailed information.
b. The Science/Math Learning Center in Roop Hall Room 200 offers tutoring for the math section of Praxis I. Hours are 10am-8pm Mon-Thurs, 10am-2pm Fri, 5-8pm Sun.
c. Peer Praxis Support is offered by Education Ambassadors in Memorial Hall. The Education Ambassadors are offering Praxis support for the reading, writing, and math sections of the test, as well as offering test-taking hints to relieve test anxiety. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a peer advising session with the Education Amabassadors.
Preparation Classes - ed2go offers a six-week Praxis I Preparation. The cost is $139. New course sections start monthly. Enroll online at www.ed2go.com.
- Customized Learning Software - The PLATO Pre-Professional Skills Simulated Test is an Internet-delivered test that is formatted to simulate the actual PPST tests. It gives students an experience closely related to the actual tests and provides diagnostic feedback in reading, writing, and mathematics. Students work online from their own PC, receive immediate feedback, and are able to create individualized learning paths. To purchase a log-on ID, contact Whitney Sajko at EMU by sending an email to her at email@example.com. The cost is $50.
- Practice of Testing Skills - The Massanutten Regional Library offers the database Learning Express for practicing and testing skills in Praxis I and a number of Praxis II (PLT) tests.