Submit the application for an initial Virginia Teaching License after receiving your official JMU transcript with degree posted after graduation or upon completing licensure requirements. Your application will not be processed until all of the licensure requirements have been met and transcripts have been received.
Download the Application for Initial Virginia Teaching License (instructions are included).
Submit a request to the JMU Registrar to have a paper copy of your official transcript sent to the Education Support Center. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT A REQUEST FOR YOUR OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS UNTIL YOUR DEGREE POSTS.
Include the following information in your packet:
1. Completed Application for Initial Virginia Teaching License
2. Application Fee: In-State Fee: $50.00 Out-of-State fee: $75.00
3. An official JMU transcript . PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT A REQUEST FOR YOUR OFFICIAL JMU TRANSCRIPTS UNTIL YOUR DEGREE POSTS. Official transcripts from institutions other than JMU are also required for all completed degrees. (You do not need to submit a transcript for coursework at another institution if you received transfer credit.)
4. Copy of Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA) score report.
5. Copy of Praxis II Specialty Area Test score(s) (if applicable).
6. Copy of Reading for Virginia Educators (RVE) score or Virginia Reading Assessment (VRA) (if applicable).
7. Copy of documentation of emergency first aid, CPR, and AED training.
8. Copy of In-state or Out-of state teaching license (if applicable).
9. If you will be requesting multiple or add-on endorsements, please include a note with your application packet.
If you already have a Virginia Teaching License, and you are requesting an additional endorsement on your Virginia Teaching License, please submit:
The ESC will fill out the college verification form and mail the application to the VDOE. Any other action on a license (change of name, graduate degree, etc.) will also cost $25.00, with a cap of $50.00 for multiple actions on a license.
Mail application to:Education Support CenterMSC 6915James Madison University395 South High StreetHarrisonburg, VA 22807
Or hand deliver application to:Memorial Hall, Room 7230
If there are any questions regarding the application process, you may contact Mr. Mark Keeler (540) 568-6274.