Steps to Licensure 



When do I submit my licensure packet to the Education Support Center (ESC)?

Submit the application for an initial Virginia Teaching License after receiving your official JMU transcript with degree posted after graduation or upon completing licensure requirements.  Your application will not be processed until all of the licensure requirements have been met and transcripts have been received. 

How do I submit my licensure packet?

Download the Application for Initial Virginia Teaching License (instructions are included).   

Submit a request to the JMU Registrar to have a paper copy of your official transcript sent to the Education Support Center. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT A REQUEST FOR YOUR OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS UNTIL YOUR DEGREE POSTS.

Include the following information in your packet:

1.      Completed Application for Initial Virginia Teaching License

  • Provide all information asked for on the application and remember to sign the application. 
  • Important Note: Fill out only PART I of the College Verification Form.
  • Please put a permanent address and telephone number on the form, not a JMU or local address, if you will be leaving the area.

2.      Application Fee:  In-State Fee:  $50.00    Out-of-State fee:  $75.00

  • The application fee must be paid by certified check, cashier's check, money order, or personal check made payable to the Treasurer of Virginia. 
  • The state cannot deposit any check that is more than 60 days old.

3.      An official JMU transcript . PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT A REQUEST FOR YOUR OFFICIAL JMU TRANSCRIPTS UNTIL YOUR DEGREE POSTS. Official transcripts from institutions other than JMU are also required for all completed degrees.  (You do not need to submit a transcript for coursework at another institution if you received transfer credit.) 

4.      Copy of Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA) score report.

5.      Copy of Praxis II Specialty Area Test score(s) (if applicable).

6.      Copy of Reading for Virginia Educators (RVE) score or Virginia Reading Assessment (VRA) (if applicable).

7.      Copy of documentation of emergency first aid, CPR, and AED training.  Click here for suggested sites to complete this requirement.

8.      Copy of In-state or Out-of state teaching license (if applicable). 

9.     If you will be requesting multiple or add-on endorsements, please include a note with your application packet.

 What if I already have a Virginia Teaching License and I am requesting an additional endorsement?

If you already have a Virginia Teaching License, and you are requesting an additional endorsement on your Virginia Teaching License, please submit:

  • A check for $25.00 made payable to the Treasurer of Virginia;
  • A college verification form;
  • A copy of your Praxis II scores.

The ESC will fill out the college verification form and mail the application to the VDOE. Any other action on a license (change of name, graduate degree, etc.) will also cost $25.00, with a cap of $50.00 for multiple actions on a license.

Where do I submit my licensure packet?

Mail application to:                         

Education Support Center
MSC 6915
James Madison University
395 South High Street
Harrisonburg, VA 22807


Or hand deliver application to:

 Memorial Hall, Room 7230

(Note - Beginning the week of April 28th the ESC is moving for the summer - find us at the Annex, Room 1000. We'll be there through August 2014.)


If there are any questions regarding the application process, you may contact Mr. Mark Keeler (540) 568-6274.



What's New?

Effective July 1, 2013
The 2013 General Assembly passed House Bill 2028 and Senate Bill 986 effective on July 1, 2013, that state, in part, the following:
  • § 4. Every person seeking initial licensure or renewal of a license shall provide evidence of completion of certification or training in emergency first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, and the use of automated external defibrillators. The certification or training program shall be based on the current national evidence-based emergency cardiovascular care guidelines for cardiopulmonary resuscitation and the use of an automated external defibrillator, such as a program developed by the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross. The Board shall provide a waiver for this requirement for any person with a disability whose disability prohibits such person from completing the certification or training….
Click on the Frequently Asked Questions for additional information from The Virginia Department of Education to assist in the implementation of this new requirement.
Click here for additional information on training workshops.