Early Childhood Education:
Master of Arts in Teaching
The ECED M.A.T. Program is designed for individuals who already hold a bachelor's degree and are interested in a career as a teacher of young children. The program offers a graduate degree, Master of Arts in Teaching, and a Virginia teaching license in early childhood education (Prek-3). Through a sequence of courses and related field experiences, candidates are prepared to teach young children in preschool through primary grades. The program is fully accredited and aligned with the standards of the National Association for the Education of Young Children.
- The program can be completed in a year and a half.
- Field experiences involve participation in area schools one full day per week for two semesters and culminate with a full time student teaching internship for 12 weeks during the final semester.
- Reputation matters. Principals consistently tell us they want JMU graduates in their schools and classrooms.
- Students currently working in classrooms may be permitted to use a portion of that experience toward meeting practicum requirements.
- Courses offered in late afternoon, evening, & summer.
- James Madison University is committed to preparing passionate teachers who determine the future of our youth and the world they will inhabit.
Links to additional information
JMU catalog information:
Contact Dr. Holly McCartney