MGT 494: Management Internship and MGT495: Human Resource Management Internship
Internship for credit courses in the management program provide an opportunity for students to develop and apply their management coursework in a real business setting. Credit for MGT 494 or MGT 495 will count toward a student's graduation requirements, by fulfilling the experiential course component, for all management majors, regardless of concentration.
The objective of the internship in management (MGT 494 or 495) is to provide students with an opportunity to develop and apply management skills in an organizational setting. The internship experience offers students the opportunity to synthesize classroom theory and real-life experience. Through hands-on involvement in various components of an organization's management functions, students will have the chance to observe and participate in the development, implementation, and evaluation of managerial policies and procedures in the work place. In addition to practical work experience, the internship is designed to emphasize the evaluation skills of participants by means of written reports and analyses of events and experiences which occurred during the internship. Formal and informal feedback between the intern, the workplace supervisor, and the faculty supervisor will also enhance the development of communication skills and investigative, analytical and critical skills necessary to assess management issues and develop solutions. The Internship Application and additional forms are located below the requirements.
1. In order to qualify for MGT 495 at least half of the required hours must be spent in HR related duties and activities
2. The student must have completed MGT 365 (Human Resources Management) and MGT 340 (International Management) OR MGT 390 (Organizational Behavior) and MGT 365 prior to the start of the internship
3. The student must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.8 or higher prior to the start of the internship
4. The student must have at least a junior standing (90 credit hours) at JMU
5. The student must have completed and submitted the Management Internship application materials to the Management Internship Coordinator and be approved prior to the start of the internship
6. The student must register for course credit for the semester in which the internship hours are completed
7. The student must complete a minimum of 200 hours of work experience during the internship experience
8. The intern's immediate supervisor at the work site must submit a performance evaluation to the Management Faculty Internship Coordinator at the end of the internship
9. The student must keep an activity log and weekly journal during the internship, submit a final written paper based on the internship experience, and participate in an exit interview with the Management Faculty Internship Coordinator.