Dr. Mary A. Gowan
Started at JMU: 2013
Ph.D., Business Administration (primary field: Human Resources Management; secondary field: Production/Operations Management), University of Georgia
M.A., Counselor Education, Appalachian State University
B.A., Psychology, Southwest Baptist College, Missouri
Harvard Institute for Management and Leadership in Education, June 2010
Gowan, M. (2012). The role of employability in long-term outcomes following a job loss. Lead Article for special issue on job loss. Journal of Managerial Psychology. 27: 780-798. DOI: 10.1108/02683941211280157
Zhang, L., & Gowan, M. (2012). Corporate social responsibility, applicants' ethical predispositions, and organizational attraction. Journal of Business and Psychology, 27: 345-362. DOI: 10.1007/s10869-011-9250-5
Gowan, M. & Lepak, D. (2007). Current and future value of human capital: Predictors of reemployment compensation following a job loss. Journal of Employment Counseling, 44: 135+.
Gowan, M. A. (2004). Development of the recruitment value proposition for geocentric staffing: Influence of cultural differences and previous international experience. Thunderbird International Business Review, 46: 678-708.
Harrison, J. K., Gowan, M. A., & Neill, H. (2004). Evidence of organizational rank and length of time in assignment effects on organizational commitment among expatriates in Russia: Results of a preliminary investigation. The Social Science Journal, 41: 471-476.
Park, H., Gowan, M., and Hwang, S. D. (2002). Impact of national origin and entry mode on interpersonal trust and organizational commitment of PCN and HCN managers in Korea. Multinational Business Review, 10: 52-61.
Braun, G., Gowan, M., & Strefeler, J. M. (2001). Differences in work values, interests, and perceived abilities of accounting academicians and accounting practitioners. Issues in Accounting Education, 13: 1-23. Lead article.
Gowan, M., Seymour, J., Ibarreche, S., & Lackey, C. (2001). Service quality in a public agency: Same expectations but different perceptions by employees, managers, and customers. Journal of Quality Management, 6: 275-291.
Gowan, M. A., & Nassar-McMillan, S. C. (2001). Examination of individual differences in participation in outplacement program activities following a job loss. Journal of Employment Counseling, 38: 185-196.
Gowan, M. A., Craft, S., & Zimmermann, R. A. (2000). Response to work transitions by United States Army personnel: The effects of self-esteem, self-efficacy, and career resilience. Psychological Reports, 86: 911-921.
Gowan, M., Riordan, C., & Gatewood, R. (1999). The development and test of a model of appraisal, coping, distress, and reemployment following involuntary job loss. Journal of Applied Psychology, 84: 75-86.
Zimmermann, R., & Gowan, M. (1999). Determinants of independent contractor status: Outcomes of U.S. court cases. Journal of Small Business Management, 37: 14-27.
Zimmermann, R., Eason, P., & Gowan, M. (1999). Behavioral life cycle effects in taxpayer tax system choice. Behavioral Research in Accounting, 11: 111-142.
Gowan, M. (1998). A preliminary investigation of factors affecting appraisal of the decision to take early retirement. Journal of Employment Counseling, 35: 124-140.
Gowan, M., & Treviño, M. (1998). An examination of gender differences in Mexican-American attitudes toward career/family interdependence. Sex Roles: A Journal of Research, 38(11/12): 1079-1093.
Gowan, M. A., & Ochoa, C. L. G. (1998). Parent-country national selection for the maquiladora industry in Mexico: Results of a pilot study. Journal of Managerial Issues, 10: 103-118.
Gowan, M. A., & Gatewood, R. D. (1997). A model of response to the stress of involuntary job loss. Human Resource Management Review, 7: 277-297.
Gowan, M. A., & Zimmermann, R. A. (1997). What really determines independent contractor status? Journal of Compensation and Benefits, 11(5): 32-36.
Gowan, M., Ibarreche, S., & Lackey, C. (1996). Doing the right things in Mexico. Academy of Management Executive, 10(1): 74-81.
Gowan, M., & Zimmermann, R. (1996). Impact of ethnicity, gender, and previous experience on juror judgments in sexual harassment cases. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 26(7): 596-617.
Gowan, M., & Zimmermann, R. (1996). The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993: Employee rights and responsibilities, employer rights and responsibilities. Employee Responsibilities and Rights Journal, 9(1): 57-71.
Gowan, M., & Zimmermann, R. (1996). The impact of the FMLA: Results of an employer survey. Journal of Compensation and Benefits, 11(4): 33-37.
Mahmood, M., Gowan, M., & Wang, S. (1995). Developing a prototype job evaluation expert system: A compensation management application. Information and Management, 29: 9-28.
Zimmermann, R., & Gowan, M. (1995). ADEA awards--A Supreme Court issue! Labor Law Journal, 46: 339-348.
Zimmermann, R., & Gowan, M. (1994). The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993: What does it mean for your organization? Employee Benefits Journal, 19: 10-15.
Zimmermann, R., & Gowan, M. (1994, January/February). The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993: How does it affect you and your clients? Today's CPA, 19: 40-45. Inaugural article in State of Texas Society of CPAs continuing professional education series in this journal.
Gatewood, R., Gowan, M., & Lautenschlager, G. (1993). Corporate image, recruitment image, and initial job choice decisions. Academy of Management Journal, 36(2): 414-427.
Institute for Sustainable Development - GreenPlus, Board of Directors, 2010 – Present; member of Executive Committee and Development Committee, serving as contact with major corporations
Society for Human Resource Management Foundation Board of Directors, 2007-2012; reelected to second three-year term; Member of Research Committee, overseeing $500,000 in annual academic research funding per year (2007 – 2012); Chair of Research Evidence Committee (2008 – 2012; instrumental in securing $100k gift for each of four years to support scholarships; member of Executive Committee (2012).
Alamance Area Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors, 2008 – 2011; reelected to second term, Vice-Chair, Economic Development, 2010
Executive Committee, Human Resources Division, Academy of Management, 2003 - 2006; Chair of Liaison Committee (2003 - 2005); Co-coordinator Preconference Site Visit (2006)
Southern Management Association Board of Directors, 2003 – 2006; Chair of Membership Task Force (2004-2006)
Christian Service Center of Central Florida Board of Directors, 2000-2004; Member, Executive Committee Member, Chair, Board and Staff Development Committee
Central Florida Human Resource Management Association Board of Directors, 1998-2001
- Best Paper Proceedings of the 68th Annual Academy of Management Meeting. Zhang, L., & Gowan, M. (2008). Corporate social responsibility, applicants' ethical predispositions, and organizational attraction
- Best Paper Proceedings of the 66th Annual Academy of Management Meeting. Wellman, M., Gowan, M., & White, S. (2006). MBA degree and school tier as human capital: A comparative study of MBA and non-MBA career success.
- Best Student Paper Award (co-authored with GW doctoral student, Lu Zhang, and Dave Lepak, Rutgers University), Human Resources/Careers Track, Southern Management Association, 2004
- Participant in Symposium Nominated for Best Symposium for Careers Division, Academy of Management 64th Annual Meeting, 2004
- Carl H. Galloway Faculty Performance Incentive Award for Outstanding Research, Department of Management, University of Central Florida, 1999
- BarclaysAmerican Research Award, Belk College of Business Administration, UNC Charlotte, 1997
- Outstanding and Best Student Paper Award, Human Resource Division, Academy of Management, 1992
- Departmental Research Award, Department of Management, University of Georgia, 1992
- Triad Business Journal Women in Business Award, 2009
- Piedmont Triad Leadership Initiative (select group of 32 emerging leaders for region), 2008
- Beta Gamma Sigma, Professional Business Honor Society, 2008
- 2000 Orlando’s Finest Honoree, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, 2000
- Educator of the Year Award presented by the State of Texas, Society of Human Resource Management, 1994
- Sigma Iota Epsilon, Professional Management Honor Society, 1989
- Outstanding Young Women of America, 1985
- Young Careerist of the Year, Monroe Business and Professional Women's Club, 1984
- Faculty Mentor for Outstanding Management Student, UNC Charlotte, 1997, 1998
- Outstanding Professor of the Year, Department of Marketing and Management, University of Texas at El Paso, 1995
- Merit Assistantship Supplement (awarded for outstanding performance in research and/or teaching), Graduate School of The University of Georgia, 1991
- Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Award (university-wide award), University of Georgia, 1990
- Carl H. Galloway Faculty Performance Incentive Award for Outstanding Service, College of Business Administration, University of Central Florida, 2000
- Carl H. Galloway Faculty Performance Incentive Award for Outstanding Service, Department of Management, University of Central Florida, 2000
- Staff Member of the Year, Mars Hill College (selected by senior class), 1983