CIS Internships & Jobs
The objective of the CIS internship Program is to foster students' experiential learning through their real business experiences in CIS related fields. All students in the Computer Information Systems program are highly encouraged to obtain relevant work experience in the information technology field before graduation. In most cases, CIS students should plan to obtain a summer internship between their junior and senior years.
Many CIS student internships are obtained through James Madison University's on-campus recruiting office. In order to participate in the on-campus interviewing process, students must sign up to use Recruit-A-Duke.
Steps for CIS Internship Success
1. Attend a Recruit-A-Duke workshop. Participating in a workshop gives access to open jobs and interviews, mock interviews, information on career fairs and resume referrals. Recruit-A-Duke is provided by JMU's Career and Academic Planning Services office.
2. Attend Career Fairs including Meet the Firms Night (September), Fall Career Fair (September), Internship Fair (March), and the Spring Career Fair (March). See JMU's Career and Academic Planning Services office for the schedule of events.
3. Gain relevant CIS-related work experience. Check JMU's JobLink for on-campus jobs. Check with JMU Computing Services for on-campus jobs such as the HelpDesk and Computer Lab Assistants. In addition, students often gain relevant work experience through JMU's Community Service Learning. CSL often has opportunities for unpaid/paid IT projects. Local internships in the Harrisonburg, Virginia region can often be found on the Shenandoah Valley Technology Council's web site.
4. Enroll in CIS 361 - Computer Information Systems Internship. CIS 361 enables students with a major in CIS to receive acknowledgment on their JMU transcript of successful completion of a information technology-related internship experience. The internship requires 300 hours of approved computer information systems work experience. All students must have declared the CIS major and have completed COB 300. An additional requirement is that your internship supervisor provides feedback on your performance.
Firms Providing CIS Internships
- CGI Federal
- Deloitte Consulting
- Ernst & Young
- Fast Enterprises
- Fidelity Investments
- Freddie Mac
- Investment Support Systems
- Lockheed Martin
- Manhattan Professional Group
- McQuay International
- SNL Financial
- State Farm