History, Vision, and MissionEntrepreneurship is assuming the risks to transform ideas into sustainable enterprises that create value.
- Judith Cone, Vice President, Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation
Founded in July 1985 as an interdisciplinary unit of the College of Business of James Madison University, the Center for Entrepreneurship (CFE) creates and promotes academic, scholarly and experiential activities related to entrepreneurship, innovation and venture creation. We engage students, faculty, alumni and the community through cutting-edge teaching practices, relevant scholarly research and creative collaboration.
Our vision in the Center for Entrepreneurship is to promote, foster, and perpetuate the American entrepreneurial tradition for undergraduates at JMU and to strengthen both the Virginia and national economies by encouraging entrepreneurship, innovation, and the creation of new enterprises.
We believe that entrepreneurship leads to transformational change which requires visionary leadership and ethical, fundamentally sound management practices.
We encourage the exploration of entrepreneurship. We believe that interdisciplinary collaboration and sound business practices are critical to creating new opportunities and viable organizations.
We value the exchange of diverse views and experiences. We seek to foster a vibrant community of JMU students, faculty, staff, and alumni who are actively engaged in building healthy enterprises and growing economies where they work and live.
- Increase student access to and involvement in entrepreneurship at JMU.
- Implement cutting-edge teaching practices in entrepreneurship.
- Advance relevant, scholarly research in entrepreneurship.
- Promote a collaborative culture that encourages an entrepreneurial mindset and sparks creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurship.
- Stimulate and facilitate the creation and launch of new ventures - both for-profit and nonprofit.
- Become the leading undergraduate university in entrepreneurship education and the #1 Center for Entrepreneurship in the nation.