The following information will guide students on the matter of transfer credit as it pertains only to transferring credit for business courses.
Transfer Credit Information for Current JMU Students
- Current/matriculated JMU students who wish to take a business course outside JMU for transfer credit to JMU must receive prior approval by completing the Office of the Registrar's form entitled "Permission to Take Courses for Transfer Credit." Students should submit the permission form to the CoB ASC along with a course description/syllabus. Students are strongly advised NOT to register for the course until approval has been granted.
- As a general rule, transfer credit for business courses (for matriculated students) will only be approved when the course is: 1) taken at a 4-year university; 2) taken at an AACSB school; and 3) equivalent to one taught at JMU.
- The only exceptions to the general rule are: ECON 200, ECON 201 and MATH 205. Matriculated JMU students may take these 3 courses for transfer credit at a community college with prior approval.
Transfer Credit Information for Incoming or Prospective Students
- Transferring to JMU from a Virginia Community College? Articulation agreements exist between JMU and VA community colleges. For a list of course equivalents, please visit the JMU Transfer Equivalent Guide. Also, see Lower-Level BBA Core Courses below.
- Transferring from a non-Virginia Community College? The College of Business may accept transfer credit for business courses. In most cases a course syllabus is needed to determine if the course is equivalent to one taught at JMU. Please submit requests and documentation to the CoB ASC. Note: Courses taken at a community college that are taught at the upper-level at JMU are not likely to transfer as an equivalent JMU business course.
- Transferring from a 4-year college/university? The College of Business may accept transfer credit for business courses. In most cases a course syllabus is needed to determine if the course is equivalent to one taught at JMU. Please submit requests and documentation to the CoB ASC.
Lower-Level BBA Core Courses at Virginia Community Colleges (for Incoming Students ONLY)
Virginia Community College Course
Richard Bland Course
|COB 191||BUS 220, BUS 221, BUS 216 or MTH 241||Mathematics 217|
|COB 202||BUS 270 at BRCC only||No equivalent||Only offered at BRCC|
|COB 204||(See Advising Note #1 below)||Computer 202||See Advising Note #1 below|
|COB 218||BUS 241||No equivalent||Only transfers from BRCC, DSLCC, LFCC, NVCC, PVCC and TCC|
|COB 241||ACC 211||Business 201||See Advising Note #2 below|
|COB 242||ACC 212||Business 202||See Advising Note #2 below|
|COB 291||BUS 227 at BRCC and PVCC only||No equivalent||See Advising Note #3 below|
|ECON 200||ECO 201||Economics 201|
|ECON 201||ECO 202||Economics 202|
|MATH 205||MTH 173, 175, 213, 270, 271 or 273||Mathematics 201 or 207||See Advising Note #4 below|
#1: To receive transfer credit for COB 204, the following courses must be completed at the respective community college: ITE 100 at NVCC, SVCC, TNCC and JSRCC; ITE 120 at BRCC, LFCC and PVCC; CSC 110 at NRCC.
#2: Accounting majors must earn a "B" or better in both COB 241 and COB 242 equivalents before continuing in upper-level ACTG courses. It is highly recommended that students wishing to major in accounting complete COB 241 and COB 242 at JMU.
#3: The prerequisites for COB 291 (Management Science) are calculus (MATH 205 or higher) and COB 191 (or MATH 220). A solid background in Excel will also help students in COB 291.
#4: The JMU COB will accept a higher level calculus course in lieu of MATH 205; for example MATH 235.
BRCC - Blue Ridge Community CollegeDSLCC - Dabney S. Lancaster Community College
JSRCC - J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
LFCC - Lord Fairfax Community College
NRCC - New River Community College
NVCC - Northern Virginia Community College
PVCC - Piedmont Virginia Community College
SVCC - Southside Virginia Community College
TNCC - Thomas Nelson Community College
TCC - Tidewater Community College