Skip to Main Content

You are in the main content

Frequently Asked Questions 

Q: How do I "Repeat & Forgive" a course?

A: Click on this tutorial to learn more.

Q: Where do the transcripts sent by my old college for transfer credit go? 

Your transcripts from other colleges and universities are sent to the Office of the Registrar (Student Success Center 5300). These transcripts must be in sealed envelopes by the registrar at the other school.  Official transcripts should be mailed directly from that school to the Office of Registrar.  If delivering an official transcript in person, the Office of Registrar will only accept it if the envelope is sealed.

Q: Will my transfer credits count toward my General Education and degree programs?

Credit will be awarded for those courses equivalent to courses offered at JMU in which you have earned a grade of "C" or better. The JMU Office of the Registrar will evaluate your transcript(s) to show the credits accepted by the university. General Education requirements will be waived if you have completed either the Associate in Arts, Associate in Science or the Associate in Arts and Sciences degree at a Virginia community college. For details, consult the JMU Virginia Community College Transfer Guide. This waiver applies only if you have obtained one of the associate's degrees noted above from a Virginia community college.

Q: Which of the pre-COB 300 core classes can be transferred?

A: Effective October 1, 2008, transfer credit for any of the B.B.A. lower level core courses (subject to the exception following) will only be approved for courses completed at an AACSB accredited four-year college or university. However, MATH 205/235, ECON 201 and ECON 200, can be transferred from a community college. A student must have the course(s) approved PRIOR to enrollment at another institution.  It is the student’s responsibility to provide information sufficient to determine whether the course is comparable to the JMU course. This policy does not apply to students who complete B.B.A. lower level core courses at other institutions prior to enrollment at JMU.

Q: What do I need to submit when I need a transfer credit equivalency form signed? Where can I get a transfer credit form signed?

You need to bring in a completed transfer credit form along with a description of the course that you wish to take at another college or university. Generally, you can find the course description on the college's website. If you have a copy of the course catalog, you can bring that with your transfer credit form.  The transfer credit forms are available in the CoB Academic Services Center.  See the ASC website for more details.

Q: How does the override process work in the CoB?

A: An override is permission to enroll in a course that is currently closed.  Due to the nature of some courses as well as classroom size, not all requests for overrides may be granted.  Only Department Heads and the ASC have authority to grant overrides/permissions for business courses.  Starting April 2015 the COB is no longer coordinating a formal override request process.  The COB is using the WAITLIST function in MyMadison.  The waitlist is not a guarantee; nor was the former override request process.