Scott B. Lewis, Ph.D.
Education, Honors, Awards
- Associate Professor James Madison University (2005 – Present)
- Assistant Professor James Madison University (1999 – 2005)
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Creighton University (1997-1999)
- Post Doc. University of North Texas (1996-1997)
- Ph.D. University of Washington (1996)
- M.S. University of Washington (1991)
- B.S. Northern Arizona University (1990)
- Synthesis of 1,3-difluorobenzenes from one-pot reactions of cyclobutenes with difluorocarbene.
- Synthesis and mechanistic studies using phenyl cations generated from tritium labeled benzene.
Research in the Lewis group centers around the synthesis, characterization, and mechanistic studies into the formation of 1,3-difluorobenzene compounds. These 1,3-difluorobenzenes are produced from the reaction between substituted cyclobutenes and difluorocarbene. Given that cyclobutenes are not generally readily available compounds, much time and effort is expended toward the synthesis and characterization of appropriate cyclobutene molecules to study with difluorocarbene.
Selected Recent Publications
- One-Step Synthesis of Quaternary Pheny Isoquinoliunium Compounds Labeled with Tritium. Shchepina, N. E.; Avrorin, V. V.; Badun, G. A.; Fedoseev, V. M.; Ukhanov, S. E.; Lewis, S. B. Radiochemistry (Russ) 2010, 52, 322.
- Effect of Substituent in the Heterocyclic Ring on the Course of the Nuclear-Chemical Synthesis. Shchepina, N. E.; Avrorin, V. V.; Badun, G. A.; Fedoseev, V. M.; Ukhanov, S. E.; Lewis, S. B. Radiochemistry (Russ) 2009, 51, 190.
- Synthesis of Tritium labeled N-Phenyl-substituted Quinolinium Derivatives by Chemonuclear Synthesis. Shchepina, N. E.; Avrorin, V. V.; Badun, G. A.; Alexandrova, G. A.; Ukhanov, S. E.; Fedoseev, V. M.; Lewis, S. B.; Boiko, I. I. Chemistry of Heterocyclic Compounds, 2009, 45, 1008.
- Nuclear-Chemical Synthesis of Phenyl Substituted Picoline Derivatives Labeled by Tritium. N. E. Shchepina, V. V. Avrorin, G. A. Badun, V. M. Fedoseev, S. E. Ukhanov, and Scott B. Lewis Radiochemistry (Russ) 2007, 49, 551.
- Phenyltrifluoromethyl Mercury. Scott B. Lewis e-Encyclopedia of Reagents for Organic Synthesis. John Wiley and Sons Publishers, 2005.
- Synthesis of 1,3-Difluoraromatics in One Pot by Addition of Difluorocarbene from Sodium Chlorodifluoroacetate to 1,2-Substituted Cyclobutenes. *Heather M. Morrison, *James E. Rainbolt and Scott B. Lewis Org. Lett. 2002, 4, 3871-3873.
- Synthesis of New High-Energy/High-Density Hydrocarbon Fuel Systems. Allan P. Marchand, K. C. V. Ramanaiah, S. Alihodzic, N. N. I. Namboothiri, E. Z. Dong, B. R. Aavula, Scott B. Lewis, and Simon G. Bott Advances in Chemical Propulsion (Ed. Gabriel D. Roy) 2002, 41-60, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.