Provost's Award for Excellence in Part-Time Teaching
The JMU Office of the Provost and the Center for Faculty Innovation are pleased to announce the annual Provost’s Award for Excellence in Part-Time Teaching. Part-time instructors are valuable members of the JMU community and this $1,000 honorarium recognizes a JMU part-time faculty member or teaching team for a significant contribution to teaching and learning at the undergraduate and/or graduate level.
The following eligibility requirements must each be met:
- Eligible candidates may be from any discipline but must have part-time status. Part-time faculty members are those who have the classification of “part-time instructor” or those “Administrative and Professional (A&P) Faculty” with instructional responsibilities (Faculty Handbook 2013). Nominees or nominators can verify a nominee’s status with Human Resources.
- Nominees must have taught at JMU for a minimum of two semesters, with at least one of these semesters occurring during the 2012-2013 academic year.
Nominations will be accepted from administrators, faculty, students, or oneself. Re-nominations are welcome. Nominations are due to CFI by February 7, 2014.
- Complete the Nomination Form.
- Compose a nominee letter of support. The nominator must address the nominee’s strengths in the area of teaching, impact on student learning, and his/her contribution to undergraduate and/or graduate education at JMU (maximum of 3 pages, 12 pt, Times New Roman, double spaced).
- Attain a student's letter of support. A JMU student must address the nominee’s strengths in the area of teaching, impact on student learning, and his/her contribution to undergraduate and/or graduate education at JMU (maximum of 3 pages, 12 pt, Times New Roman, double spaced).
- Attain a copy of the nominee's Curriculum Vita.
- Attain a list of all courses taught at JMU, including the course number, full course name, semester, and year(s).
- Attain a summary of end of course evaluation data for EACH course taught in the two most recent consecutive semesters for the nominee. For example, if an instructor only teaches in the spring semester, that nominee would present evaluation data from the two most recent spring semesters (Spring ‘11 and ‘12).
- Attain an endorsement e-mail from the nominee’s academic unit head that includes the following message:
Nominations will be reviewed for teaching excellence, impact on student learning, and commitment to undergraduate and/or graduate education at JMU.
The selection committee will be composed of one representative of the Center for Faculty Innovation, two full-time faculty members, and three part-time faculty members. The selection committee will review application materials for evidence of exceptional teaching and a commitment to student learning at JMU. The committee will make a recommendation to the Provost in late February 2013 and the award recipient will be formally notified by the Provost’s office. Nominators and nominees will be notified electronically of the outcome, and the award results will be featured on the CFI web site.