The value of life-long learning and engaged citizenship that JMU students encounter in the classroom is also powerfully modeled in the diverse and evolving range of faculty roles, responsibilities, projects, and commitments that contribute to making the whole faculty member. The Center for Faculty Innovation (CFI) supports faculty in discovering the connections and relationships that unify their work as teachers, researchers, scholars, and engaged members of the communities they serve. Career Development programs provide opportunities for faculty at all stages of their careers to set clear goals, identify concrete action plans, and document effectiveness and excellence as part of continuous improvement in faculty growth and success.
Career Development programs are designed for faculty to make progress toward the following outcomes:
- Appreciate the fluidity, complexity, and changing demands of academic careers;
- Achieve self-defined career milestones;
- Integrate career development within the context of university, unit, and disciplinary missions;
- Demonstrate knowledge of university-wide resources to support career roles and responsibilities;
- Access resources to enhance career development plans; and
- Develop and foster productive mentoring relationships.