The value of life-long learning and engaged citizenship that JMU students encounter in the classroom is also powerfully modeled in the diverse and evolving range of faculty roles, responsibilities, projects, and commitments that contribute to making the whole faculty member. The Center for Faculty Innovation (CFI) supports faculty in discovering the connections and relationships that unify their work as teachers, researchers, scholars, and engaged members of the communities they serve. Career Planning programs provide opportunities for faculty at all stages of their careers to set clear goals, identify concrete action plans, and document effectiveness and excellence as part of continuous improvement in faculty growth and success.
Career Planning programs are designed for faculty to make progress toward the following outcomes:
- Appreciating the place and purpose of comprehensive career planning in academic careers,
- Creating a comprehensive career plan with meaningful, measurable goals for professional advancement,
- Identifying and implementing effective strategies for career advancement,
- Achieving self-defined career milestones,
- Applying best practices of performance documentation to career advancement,
- Developing and fostering productive mentoring and networking relationships, and
- Identifying strategies to maintain balance in work-life continuum.