The value of life-long learning and engaged citizenship that JMU students encounter in the classroom is also powerfully modeled in the diverse and evolving range of faculty roles, responsibilities, projects, and commitments that contribute to making the whole faculty member. The Center for Faculty Innovation (CFI) supports faculty in discovering the connections and relationships that unify their work as teachers, researchers, scholars, and engaged members of the communities they serve. Career Planning programs provide opportunities for faculty at all stages of their careers to set clear goals, identify concrete action plans, and document effectiveness and excellence as part of continuous improvement in faculty growth and success.
Career Planning programs are designed for faculty to make progress toward the following outcomes:
- Appreciating the fluidity, complexity, & changing demands of academic careers
- Achieving self-defined career milestones
- Integrating career development within the context of university, unit, & disciplinary missions
- Demonstrating knowledge of university-wide resources to support career roles and responsibilities
- Accessing resources to enhance career plans
- Developing and fostering productive mentoring relationships.