Tuition and Fees
Tuition and fee charges for the 2012-13 sessions are available online at

The tuition and fees listed contribute to general maintenance and operation, instruction, and other university service costs, including recreational and health-service facility costs. The fees also support student activities such as the Student Government Association, University Program Board and student publications.

The amounts listed do not include the cost of books or supplies. The university reserves the right to adjust tuition and fee charges because of rising costs or other conditions upon approval of the JMU Board of Visitors.

For a full description of the tuition and fee rates, refer to the Registration and Student Record Services Handbook or the University Business Office website.

Billing and Registration
Registration for returning students is conducted in March for the summer semester, April for the fall semester and November for the spring semester. Students will be notified in April and May by email when their initial electronic billing statement (QuikBILL) is ready for the summer semester, early August for the fall semester and mid-December for the spring semester. Thereafter, all new charges, payments and adjustments will be posted electronically in the real-time section – Account Status – of QuikBILL. Authorized payers will also be emailed when student account bills are ready to be viewed and paid.

Course registration for new students will be completed during orientation. New students who attend an orientation session will be notified of the amounts due through the electronic billing statement in early August.

Students are encouraged to review their financial account for amounts due after any registration or course adjustment activity. Students may access their financial account by using the student information MyMadison link on the Registrar's website or through the Web link provided in the billing email. Students are strongly encouraged to set their parents up as "Authorized Payers" in the QuikBILL system to assure the timely payment of their student account and to avoid unnecessary delays in communicating information. Student account balances are due in full by the first week of classes.

To keep university costs as low as possible, the Commonwealth of Virginia has instituted the following financial policies:


Payment of Tuition and Fees
Payment may be made by the following means:

Payments drawn on foreign banks must be converted to U.S. dollars prior to transmittal to the university. The student's account number (campus ID number) should be included on all payments to ensure its application to the proper account.

Debts owed to the university are governed by the following policies:

Audit Fees
A student registering to audit a course will pay the same tuition and fees as one who registers for credit.

Examination for Credit Fee
Arrangements for attempting credit by departmental examination may be made by paying a nonrefundable $25 fee to the University Business Office and presenting the receipt to the Office of the Registrar.

Late Fee
As of July 1, 2009 the Commonwealth of Virginia has passed legislation requiring late fees to be placed on past due balances owed to the University. The mandatory late fee is 3% of the balance due.

Returned Check Fee
A $50 per check fee is assessed for checks returned unpaid to the university. If a check is returned, the University Business Office staff will notify the student by email. If the student does not make appropriate alternative payment as specified, the student's class registration will be canceled and the student may be withdrawn from the university. The university will also hold the student's records, future registration, transcripts, teaching license and diploma until the check is redeemed.

Service Fee
Electronic Student Account payments made by credit card through MyMadison or at UBO's website will be assessed a service fee by the outside vendor. This fee is based on the total charges paid. The calculated amount is displayed separately, assessed at the time payment is made and cannot be refunded. There is no fee charged for electronic check payment.

Specialized Class Fees
Certain courses which use off-campus facilities have additional charges which will be determined at the time the course is offered.


Collection of Past Due Accounts

Financial Information and Disclosure Statement
Students are expected to access financial information through QuikBILL in MyMadison. Failure to receive email notification of posted electronic billing statement is not a justification for granting immunity in financial matters. Failure to access available data through self-service access via MyMadison or to read and comply with university regulations will not exempt students from whatever financial penalties they may incur.

Course Cancellation
Failure to attend a course after registering is not justification for elimination of charges. A student must officially drop a course to qualify for a refund or release of charges by the drop/add deadline posted by the Office of the Registrar. Failure to pay will not release a student from the responsibility for these charges.

Outstanding Debts/Delinquent Accounts
Students with outstanding debts are denied any registration activity and access to an official transcript of their grades until all debts are paid in full. Student accounts are subject to the financial policies of James Madison University, as specified in the undergraduate catalog. Unless students resolve the debt, the university will advance the matter to the next step in the collection process.

Collection Activities
Once an account is 60 days past due, the delinquent balance is subject to transfer to a collection agency. At that point, repayment arrangements must be made directly with the collection agency, and the account holder bears the costs associated with collection efforts. The costs associated with collection efforts are 33.33% of the outstanding balance, which is the standard and customary amount for the collection industry.

Collections in the Commonwealth of Virginia
The university pursues debt in accordance with the guidelines set forth by the Commonwealth of Virginia in the Virginia Debt Collection Act. Virginia state law requires that the university make every attempt to collect past due amounts owed to state agencies. If, after 60 days, full payment of a debt has not been received, the student account will be placed with a collection agency. Students are responsible for any collection costs incurred at a rate of 33.33% of the total due.

Students also risk tarnishing their credit rating and will be subject to further enforcement proceedings. Collection efforts are costly to the student. Avoid them by paying on time. Agencies charge the student a 33.33% fee that is the collection industry standard. Collection fees cannot be appealed. If a student finds that his/her account has been referred to a collection company, he/she should contact the company immediately to make payment arrangements.

Additionally, the account can be listed by the Credit Bureau as a bad debt, a delinquent account can be collected in full from income tax refunds, lottery winnings, or other refunds due from the state, and the account may be turned over to the Virginia Attorney General's Office for litigation. Timely payment is strongly encouraged so that collection efforts can be avoided.

University Agents

Todd, Bremer and Lawson, Inc.
Post Office Box 36788
Rock Hill SC 29732-0512
Phone: 1-800-849-6669
Fax: 1-803-328-5211

Williams and Fudge
Post Office Box 11590
Rock Hill SC 29731-6266
Phone: 1-800-849-9791
Fax: 1-803-329-0797


Setoff Debt Collection Act
Under the provisions of this act, an individual's Virginia income tax refund or lottery winnings will be subject to the university's claim for any unpaid balance of tuition and fees. Any communication disputing an amount owed must be submitted in writing to the director of the University Business Office.

Eligibility for In-state Tuition
Eligibility for in-state tuition charges is based on the provisions of Section 23-7.4 of the Code of Virginia in effect on the first day of classes for each term. Students who exceed the minimum number of credit hours required for graduation by 25 percent should refer to the UBO website for additional tuition charges. A link to the Code of Virginia guidelines can be found on the website of the assistant vice president for finance and the University Business Office. This statute limits in-state tuition to those with Virginia domiciliary status. Domicile is defined as the "present, fixed home to which you return following temporary absences and at which you intend to stay indefinitely." If there is any question of the right to classification as a domicile of Virginia, it is the student's obligation, prior to the first day of classes for the semester, to raise the question with JMU administrative officials.

Restriction on In-state Tuition
In accordance with Virginia law, in-state students initially entering a Virginia public institution during or after the fall 2006 semester will be assessed a surcharge for any credit hours over 125% of their degree program requirements. Exceptions may apply when credit hours are required for an additional program.

Dependent Students
To qualify for in-state tuition, a dependent student or an unemancipated minor shall establish by clear and convincing evidence that, for a period of at least one year prior to the date of the alleged entitlement, the person through whom he or she claims eligibility was domiciled in Virginia and had abandoned any previous domicile, if another existed. A link to the Code of Virginia, as well as Residency Guidelines, can be found on the University Business Office website under the section "Residency Requirements."

Independent Students
The statute defines an independent student as one whose parents have surrendered the right to his or her care, custody and earnings; have ceased to support him or her and have not claimed him or her as a dependent on federal and state income tax returns for at least 12 months prior to the alleged eligibility.

To qualify for in-state tuition, an independent student shall establish by clear and convincing evidence that for a period of at least one year immediately prior to the date of the alleged entitlement, he or she was domiciled in Virginia and had abandoned any previous domicile, if such existed.

Domiciliary status shall not ordinarily be conferred by the performance of acts which are auxiliary to fulfilling educational objectives or are required or routinely performed by temporary residents of the commonwealth. Mere physical presence or residence primarily for educational purposes shall not confer domiciliary status. A matriculating student who has entered an institution and is classified as an out-of-state student shall be required to rebut by clear and convincing evidence the presumption that he or she is in the commonwealth for the purpose of attending school and not as a bona fide domiciliary.

Initial determinations of eligibility are made by the Office of Admissions (incoming first year students, re-entries and transfers) and The Graduate School (graduate students and continuing education and special students). Decisions on returning degree-seeking students are made by the director of the University Business Office.

To establish eligibility after entering JMU as an out-of-state student, an applicant must complete the reclassification form posted on the University Business Office website. For information on special provisions of Section 23-7.4, contact the Office of Admissions, The Graduate School or the University Business Office.

Once a student receives an initial determination of eligibility, he or she may appeal for a review of the application by contacting the office which made the decision. If there is any question of the right to classification as a domicile of Virginia, it is the student's obligation prior to or at the time of registration to raise the question with the administrative officials of James Madison University. Any party aggrieved by a final administrative decision shall have the right to petition within 30 days for a review by the Circuit Court of Rockingham County.

A change to in-state status may be made only when the completed application for reclassification form is received by the University Business Office prior to the first day of classes for that semester. Students are responsible for paying out-of-state tuition rates until in-state status has been approved.


Room and Board
Part-time students cannot purchase a housing contract without prior approval of the Office of Residence Life. Students residing in university housing, except university-sponsored apartments, automatically have a comprehensive 14-Plus Meal Plan included with their housing contract. Other resident meal plans are described in the JMU Student Handbook. Residents of university-sponsored apartments are only charged for the room portion of their housing contract. These students and commuter students may purchase one of several meal plans through Card Services, Warren Hall, Room 302 and can have the charge posted to their student account.

Any commuter contract purchased after the first week of classes is due immediately. A commuter contract must be purchased each semester.

If students arrive late by 10 or fewer days, their boarding fee will not decrease. The only exception, however, is lateness because of hospital confinement. If students are late because of seven-day or longer stays in the hospital, the university will consider adjusting the board fee. Contact Card Services, Warren Hall, Room 302; (540) 568-6446 for additional information.


Any overpayment of a student account can be either refunded or posted to a future semester as a payment. An overpayment created by a credit card payment must be refunded back to the credit card. All overpayments are refunded to the student except for parent PLUS loans, which are refunded to the parent. Direct deposit to the student's or parent's bank account is strongly encouraged. Students can set up an account with the Duke Dog Direct Deposit through their MyMadison account. Parents can obtain direct deposit forms at the University Business Office at Warren Hall, Room 302, through the University Business Office website or the Office of Financial Aid website. If no direct deposit form is on record or set up in MyMadison, then a check will be processed within 10 banking days and mailed to the student's/parent's home address of record.

Students who officially withdraw from the university by the deadline for fall semester or by the deadline for spring semester will be refunded all tuition and fees except the tuition and room deposit.

Withdrawing after the end of this period will not reduce tuition charges. Board fees will be prorated from the dining hall opening date. After the deadline dates, refunds will be for only a pro rata share of the board fee. Room refunds will be made in accordance with the Residence Life refund schedule as stated in the current Residential Contract.

Students who withdraw from the university due to physical or mental health reasons certified by an appropriate health care provider or for unavoidable emergency or extenuating circumstances approved by the Office of Student Withdrawal will be refunded a pro rata share of tuition, fees and board. Refunds for withdrawal from the university are calculated from last date of attendance as approved by the Office of Student Withdrawal. Room refunds will be made in accordance with the Residence Life refund schedule as stated in the current Residential Contract.

For further information on withdrawal from the university, see the section Withdrawal from the University.


Room and Tuition Deposits

New Students
For new students, a deposit of $250 is required to confirm their acceptance of the offer of admission. When a student pays the deposit, the money is applied to the student's account. The deadline for this deposit is May 1. Refunds after the stated deadlines will be made only for personal illness certified by a physician or other extenuating circumstances approved by the director of Admissions.

Returning Students
For returning students who want to live in university residential facilities, a signed room and board contract must be submitted online to the Office of Residence Life at A contract fee will be billed through the student's financial account.





Horizontal Rule