James Madison University is a public, comprehensive university and is the only university in America named for James Madison. The university offers programs on the bachelor's, master's, educational specialist and doctoral levels with its primary emphasis on the undergraduate student. JMU provides a total education to students – one that has a broad range of the liberal arts as its foundation and encompasses an extensive variety of professional and pre-professional programs, augmented by a multitude of learning experiences outside the classroom. The value and quality of the JMU experience has been recognized repeatedly in many national publications.
Since its establishment in 1908, James Madison University has grown from a small state normal and industrial school for women to today's coeducational comprehensive university with a fall 2008 enrollment of 18,454.
The university was founded in 1908 as the State Normal and Industrial School for Women at Harrisonburg, with Julian Ashby Burruss as its first president. The school opened its doors to its first student body in 1909 with an enrollment of 209 students and a faculty of 15. Its first 20 graduates received diplomas in 1911. In 1914, the name of the school was changed to the State Normal School for Women at Harrisonburg. The school received authorization to award bachelor's degrees in 1916. During this initial period of development, Burruss' administration established the campus plan and constructed six buildings.
After Burruss resigned in 1919, Dr. Samuel Page Duke became the second president. Duke's administration erected nine major buildings. In 1924, the university became the State Teachers College at Harrisonburg and continued under that name until 1938, when it was named Madison College in honor of James Madison, the fourth president of the United States. In 1946, the Duke administration admitted men as regular day students.
Following the retirement of Duke, Dr. G. Tyler Miller became the third president of the university in 1949 and remained until 1970. Miller's administration enlarged the campus by 240 acres and constructed 19 buildings. The administration also revamped the curriculum. In 1954, the expanding school received authority to grant master's degrees. The university became a coeducational institution in 1966.
Dr. Ronald E. Carrier became JMU's fourth president in 1971. His administration changed Madison College into a university. In 1977, the university adopted its current name, James Madison University. The Carrier administration nearly tripled the number of students and university faculty members and constructed some 30 major campus buildings. Doctoral degrees were authorized in 1994.
Dr. Linwood H. Rose was named JMU's fifth president in September 1998. Under his leadership, JMU has continually been recognized in national publications as one of the nation's finest institutions of its type. Before being named president, Rose had served as a member of the institution's administration for 23 years, including service as executive vice president and chief operating officer.
The general responsibility for the administration of the university has been assigned to the president, who is appointed by the JMU Board of Visitors. When the board is in recess, its executive committee may exercise the power of the board.
Assisting the president in the administration of the university are the provost and senior vice president for academic affairs, the senior vice president for administration and finance, the senior vice president for student affairs and university planning, the senior vice president for university advancement, and the executive assistant to the president.
Appointment to these positions and to the university's instructional and administrative faculty is made by the JMU Board of Visitors upon the recommendation of the president.
JMU consists of the following colleges:
- College of Arts and Letters
- College of Business
- College of Education
- College of Integrated Science and Technology
- College of Science and Mathematics
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- The Graduate School
Board of Visitors
Dr. Meredith Strohm Gunter (Rector)
James E. Hartman (Vice Rector)
Mark T. Bowles
Joseph F. Damico
Ronald C. Devine
Vanessa M. Evans
Lois J. Forbes
Charles H. Foster, Jr.
Joseph K. Funkhouser, II
Stephen R. Leeolou
Elizabeth V. Lodal
Wharton B. Rivers Jr.
Larry M. Rogers
Judith S. Strickler
Daniel M. Smolkin (Student Member)
Donna L. Harper (Secretary)
Chief Administration Officers
Linwood H. Rose, Ed.D.
A. Jerry Benson, Ph.D.,
Interim Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
Joanne Carr, Ph.D.,
Senior Vice President for University Advancement
Charles W. King Jr., M.A.,
Senior Vice President for Administration and Finance
Mark Warner, Ed.D.,
Senior Vice President for Student Affairs and University Planning
Ralph Alberico, M.L.S.,
Dean of Libraries and Educational Technologies
David F. Brakke, Ph.D.,
Dean, College of Science and Mathematics
Linda Cabe Halpern, Ph.D.,
Dean, University Studies
David K. Jeffrey, Ph.D.,
Dean, College of Arts and Letters
Reid J. Linn, Ph.D,
Dean, The Graduate School
Sharon E. Lovell, Ph.D.,
Interim Dean, College of Integrated Science & Technology
Robert D. Reid, Ed.D.,
Dean, College of Business
George E. Sparks, Ph.D.,
Dean, College of Visual and Performing Arts
Phillip M. Wishon, Ph.D.,
Dean, College of Education
Office of Alumni Relations
Phone: (540) 568-6234
Web site: http://www.jmu.edu/alumni/
JMU benefits from an active, enthusiastic and supportive alumni association. With close to 100,000 graduates, the JMU Alumni Association strives to develop a continuing interest in the university by providing opportunities for service, fellowship, networking and loyalty for JMU alumni, parents of current students and friends of the university. The association provides scholarship opportunities for incoming JMU freshmen as well as currently enrolled students. Alumni chapters across the country sponsor events, programs, services and various forms of communication for a diverse constituency. The alumni association also hosts annual programming on campus, including homecoming, reunions, senior week and more.
The JMU Alumni Association is directed by a board of directors who represent the interests of all graduates by reviewing and setting the strategy for the association. JMU's quarterly magazine, Madison, provides information about the university to all alumni, parents of currently enrolled students, friends and businesses, corporations, and foundations associated with JMU. The e-newsletter, Brightening the Lights, is a popular way for alumni to stay informed about alumni and campus activities. Further information about all of these programs, products and services is available at www.jmu.edu/alumni.
The James Madison University Foundation, Inc., a 501(c) 3 organization was established in 1969 to promote the welfare, efficiency, service to the public, and objectives of James Madison University and to encourage private gifts of money, securities, land, or other property of whatever character for such purposes, and to that end to take, hold, receive, and enjoy any gift, grant, devise or bequest, for the benefit of James Madison University in the manner designated, for the general purposes and improvement of James Madison University, and to accept, execute and administer any trust in which it may have an interest under the terms of the instrument creating the trust.
Gifts received by the foundation are used to support the university in many ways, such as:
- construction of buildings
- endowed chairs for distinguished faculty members
- purchase of library resources
- purchase of specialized equipment for university classrooms and laboratories
- renovation and additions to existing facilities
- scholarships for students
- special academic opportunities for students
- special academic programs