Nelson Institute for International and Public AffairsMission
Nelson Institute for International and Public Affairs is a concrete manifestation of James Madison University's commitment to meet both the educational requirements of its students in a changing world and its own need to respond to the "real world" challenges faced by society today. By supporting scholarship in the social sciences and humanities and providing an environment that will encourages interdisciplinary discourse on some of today's vital global and national concerns, the Institute contributes to the advancement and diffusion of knowledge that the JMU's namesake held constituted "the only guardian of true liberty."
The Institute seeks to foster engagement and discussion by faculty, students, and members of the community of the major issues affecting American interests broadly defined, including:
- maintaining and strengthening national security at home and abroad.
- encouraging the understanding of and support for countries committed to the core values that inspired the American founding, including political, economic, social, and religious pluralism.
- fostering greater awareness and engagement with developing countries and peoples on the part of the United States.
- promoting a culture of respect for authentic human rights;
- and advancing an open global economy, governed by both an ethic of responsibility and the rule of law.
- Terrorism and national security
- Religion and global politics
- International ethics and justice
The Institute draws upon and fosters the resources of the academic community – including the educational vocation of the university and the research of its faculty – to offer enhancement opportunities to JMU faculty and students as well as initiatives aimed at policymakers, other scholars, and the public at large through a variety of programs, including:
- Ongoing research and analysis projects
- Publications and other media activities
- Distinguished Scholars in Residence and Fellows programs
- The Guardian Lecture Series
- An annual conference