Institute for Environment
Dr. Steven Frysinger, Chair
The Institute for Environment is a collegial association of environmental faculty from James Madison University, crossing departmental, college and academic program boundaries.
The Institute for Environment (IFE) will promote synergism and faculty/student collaboration in environmental research, projects, and degree programs, helping to ensure that JMU is identified as an institution with a world-class environmental presence which is both coordinated and diverse.
The IFE conducts a variety of activities intended to foster communication and collaboration among the JMU environmental faculty and students, as well as their external stakeholders. Examples of these activities include:
- Maintenance of a World Wide Web presence (www.jmu.edu/InstituteForEnvironment), which serves as an electronic “front door” to environmental programs and activities at JMU.
- Facilitation of dialog about the various environmental programs offered or proposed.
- Operation of a directory and e-mail list to help institute members discover each other’s expertise and communicate with each other.
- Dissemination of news of interest to institute members via either electronic or paper means.
- Maintenance of a resource list to help faculty and students locate environmental instruments, equipment and software on campus.
- Organization of mini-conferences/workshops on the environment to showcase student and faculty work from all academic units.
- Sponsorship of scholarships/grants to help students with research expenses, conference travel, etc.
JMU offers the following environmental programs:
- Environmental Information Systems minor
- Environmental Management minor
- Environmental Studies concentration (Geography program)
- Environmental Studies minor (Geology Department)
- Environmental and Natural Resource concentration (Economics program)
- Environment concentration (Integrated Science and Technology program)
Faculty members from all colleges of the university participate in the IFE. A complete and current roster may be found at http://www.jmu.edu/InstituteForEnvironment/.