James Madison University is a public, comprehensive
university and is the only university in America named for James Madison. The
university offers programs on the bachelorís, masterís and doctoral levels with
its primary emphasis on the undergraduate student. JMU provides a total
education to students Ė one that has a broad range of the liberal arts as its
foundation and encompasses an extensive variety of professional and
pre-professional programs, augmented by a multitude of learning experiences
outside the classroom. The quality of the JMU experience has been recognized
repeatedly in many national publications.
We are committed to preparing
students to be educated and enlightened citizens who will lead productive and
Since its establishment in
1908, James Madison University has grown from a small state normal and
industrial school for women to todayís coeducational comprehensive university
with a fall 2002 enrollment of 15,600.
The university was founded in
1908 as the State Normal and Industrial School for Women at Harrisonburg, with
Julian Ashby Burruss as its first president. The school opened its doors to its
first student body in 1909 with an enrollment of 209 students and a faculty of
15. Its first 20 graduates received diplomas in 1911. In 1914, the name of the
school was changed to the State Normal School for Women at Harrisonburg. The
school received authorization to award bachelorís degrees in 1916. During this
initial period of development, Burrussí administration established the campus
plan and constructed six buildings.
After Burruss resigned in
1919, Dr. Samuel Page Duke became the second president. Dukeís administration
erected nine major buildings. In 1924, the university became the State Teachers
College at Harrisonburg and continued under that name until 1938, when it was
named Madison College in honor of James Madison, the fourth president of the
United States. In 1946, the Duke administration admitted men as regular day
Following the retirement of
Duke, Dr. G. Tyler Miller became the third president of the university in 1949
and remained until 1970. Millerís administration enlarged the campus by 240
acres and constructed 19 buildings. The administration also revamped the
curriculum. In 1954, the expanding school received authority to grant masterís
degrees. The university became a coeducational institution in 1966.
Dr. Ronald E. Carrier became
JMUís fourth president in 1971. His administration changed Madison College into
a university. In 1977, the university adopted its current name, James Madison
University. The Carrier administration nearly tripled the number of students
and university faculty members and constructed some 30 major campus buildings.
Doctoral degrees were authorized in 1994.
Dr. Linwood H. Rose was named JMUís fifth president in
September, 1998. Under his leadership, JMU has continually been recognized in
national publications as one of the nationís finest institutions of its type.
Before being named president, Rose had served as a member of the institutionís
administration for 23 years, including service as executive vice president and
chief operating officer.