JMU Cascade Product List Webinar:
Matt Herzberger - Director of Web Communications Florida International University posed a question to the listserv Higher Education Cascade User Group List <firstname.lastname@example.org> regarding "products" within Cascade.
This was my reply to the listserv with JMU's list of 'products'. If you haven't signed up for this listserv, I highly recommend signing up here.
PRIMARY CONTENT TYPES:
- Events Listing:http://www.jmu.edu/events/ We have this format auto generated and republished daily to reflect the daily events from this month then indexing forward for next months in the year. This includes several related formats for a mini calendar widget like this: http://www.jmu.edu/admissions/visit/index.shtml. JMU employs a self-archiving event and news folder structure events/2012/08/17-webinar.shtml.
- News:We took a cue from Emory's Newsroom and made our overall News site http://www.jmu.edu/news/. on our main server a newsroom style site. JMU uses Topics - http://www.jmu.edu/news/topics/academics/index.shtml created by tagging various new items with different topical tags. The individual news item pages include a right side related block that has the same tagging as the article -http://www.jmu.edu/news/2012/07/20-new-website-launched.shtml
- Stories:http://www.jmu.edu/stories/ Featured stories are a content type that have 'evergreen' type of content which is always meaningful(rather that news which is more publish date related). These feature stories have richer depth to them and this indexing is one listing. They also have similar related content on the right side on the individual pages like news and events.
SECONDARY CONTENT TYPES:
- Profiles:http://www.jmu.edu/bethechange/people.shtml This wall of faces is generated by a block that pulls standardized thumbnails associated from a profile type, then the individual profile listings are also generated by the individual profile blocks.
- Academic Snapshots: (Undergradate, minors, graduate) http://www.jmu.edu/academics/undergraduate/majors/index.shtml This is an auto generated listing in A-Z format through an index block on the Undergraduate snapshot type(Catalog lite type info).
- Image Gallery(Fancybox(jquery) carousel mix)These image galleries are built by pulling keywords tagged in metadata keyword tags .http://www.jmu.edu/_images/gallery/office-of-the-president/index.shtml
- Building List: We can both list our buildings http://www.jmu.edu/directory/buildings/index.shtml and reuse this building info on our Campus Map http://www.jmu.edu/map/
- Video:We have created a linked video content type http://www.jmu.edu/videos/give/wayoflife.shtml This allows us to create an embedded external video of Youtube, Vimeo, JMUTube, or file format and depending on the type do an embed on a single page or prepare it for a linked embed on another page. This is how we link this from another page: http://www.jmu.edu/give/index.shtml We also have the ability to embed within a story through a widget configuration and associated format - http://www.jmu.edu/stories/bethechange/azizas-place.shtml
Almost all of the templates for these products employs the use of Yahoo User Interface(YUI) Grids CSS. For more information on this you can come to my presentation at the Cascade User's Conference 2012 - #CSUC12 at 11:20 on Tuesday Sept 18th, 2012. If you enjoyed this presentation don't forget to vote for me(Alvin Chao) for Biggest Fan of Cascade using this vote for the Cassies link