|Continue to: EXPERIENCE AND ACTIVITIES →|
Coursework, Projects, and Skills
You may list appropriate college coursework in your resume, especially if you are applying for a position that is less related to your major or the coursework is unique or specialized in the career field. For example, if you apply for a technical writing position but you majored in Biology, it would be advantageous to list some of the writing courses you have taken to highlight your skills.
You can create a separate section on your resume using the headings, “Related Coursework” or “Relevant Coursework,” or include your class listing under your education section. It is best to list the classes in a column format, so they are easier to read.
(From an Integrated Science & Technology major:)
(From an International Affairs major:)
Related Coursework: U.S. Foreign Policy, International Relations, Comparative Politics, Simulations in Middle East Security, Politics of Central and East Europe, U.S. Diplomatic History, International Economics, Cross-National Research Skills
You can describe a significant project from a course to explain your skills and knowledge in a certain area. To do so, you can create a separate section on your resume using the heading, “Course Projects,” or include your course project under your education or experience sections. It is best to use the name of the course rather than the course number.
Integrated Functional Systems, COB 300, JMU, Fall 2013
- Completed 12-hour comprehensive learning experience that combined disciplines of finance, marketing, management, and operations to develop a business plan for a fictitious start up business.
- Directed marketing section, which focused on market research, opportunity analysis, market segmentation, positioning, promotional and distribution strategies, and budgets and sales forecasting.
Theatre and Film Course Work, JMU, Fall Semester 2013 - Present
- Wrote, directed, and starred in an award winning student film.
- Designed, mapped, and implemented stage lighting design for Angels in America, written by Tony Kushner.
- Learned traditional and modern acting styles for the stage on basic and intermediate levels.
- Studied stage costumes, makeup, and documentary story telling styles.
- Wrote 12 formal film critiques for Film in Society class.
Integrated Marketing Communications Course Project, JMU, Spring 2014
- Completed projects focusing on advertising, sales promotions, public relations, packaging, publicity, personal selling, direct marketing, and event sponsorship.
- Created client-oriented projects and developed a marketing campaign for local business use with a team.
Information about special skills relevant to your job objective, such as computer or language proficiency, can enhance your resume. You can include this information in a separate section or as part of another section in your resume.
- Microsoft Office including Access, Excel, FrontPage, PowerPoint, and Word
- Genesis (Lowe’s computer based inventory and order management system)
- Conversant in Spanish