Work values help you identify your needs and wants in relation to different majors, careers, and work settings. To get started, ask yourself the following questions:
- What do you need in your work environment in order to be successful and productive?
- Can you rank order your most important work values? What are you willing to negotiate in order to get what’s most important to you?
- Personal values and work values are different. Do you know the role each plays for your decisions?
Knowing your work values is the first step. Knowing how to connect your work values to your major and career options comes next, and can be informed by the tools described below or meeting with a career counselor.
You can also explore your Work Values using these resources:
- Login to FOCUS. Under the title, “Self-Assessment,” click “Values Assessment.”
- Take the Life Values Inventory to increase awareness of your values and how they intersect with your personal and professional life.
These tools are hosted on other websites. However, you are still encouraged to meet with us for further clarification.