Ask yourself these questions to determine the next step:
- What are my top three work values?
- Knowing my top three work values, to what extent are they satisfied by majors or careers I am considering?
- Of careers I am considering, what is the employment outlook?
- Will I like to work in this type of environment 40+ hours a week, doing these types of activities?
- What will my professional life be like? Will my work life compliment and support the personal life I want?
- Knowing the required courses of majors I am considering, how many sound interesting? Does this seem like what I want to focus my coursework in?
- Am I willing to go through the steps to succeed in this field (e.g. attend graduate school, pass a certification exam, etc.)?
- Does this career path fit with my personality, values, interests, and skills?
Take your reflections and determine your next move.
- If you have confirmed choices, you are ready to set some goals and move forward with your decisions.
- If you still have unanswered questions, identify the concerns related to the questions and determine what matters to you in terms of majors and careers.