Promote Your Organization
There are many ways to promote your organization
To recruit for an open job or internship, consider:
To establish a company presence on campus, consider:
Questions about these services? Contact the staff in On-Campus Interviewing.
Note: If you are an employer seeking students for part-time job opportunities, please visit the Student Work Experience website. If you are an employer with a volunteer opportunity for students, please visit the Community Service website.
Hosting an Information Session:
How do they work?
Information sessions are typically held the evening prior to an employer's first interview day and provide employers with an opportunity to meet with students in a less formal environment prior to the interview. Hosting an information session is a good option because:
- It serves as an efficient way to communicate any relevant info that you wish students to know because it is done in a group setting
- By communicating important company information prior to the interview, it allows more time for you to get to know your candidates during the actual interview
The key to success in hosting information sessions is to advertise your session to students prior to your arrival on campus. If you are conducting on campus interviews, please email the students that you have selected to interview to inform them of your information session. In addition, feel free to read the various ways to connect with our campus for more information.
How do I set up an Information Session?
- Log into Recruit-A-Duke
- Click on the Career Fairs & Information Sessions tab (next, click on the Information Sessions tab located further down the screen)
- Fill out the web form to make a reservation online (all rooms are equipped with computer setup and projection screen)
- At this point, a member of our staff will make arrangements to secure a location based on information submitted on your reservation request and provide you with details as soon as your confirmation is received concerning space reservation on campus from our Events and Conferences office
- Please use the campus map to locate the facility in which your information session will be held
- Note: If you wish to place an order to have food available at your information session, please contact Special Events at (540) 568-6637.
Parking arrangements for information sessions or information tables
- You will be greeted by one of our student assistants who will assist with any logistics in setting up your event and provide you with a parking pass
- Note: Parking passes must be displayed in vehicles parked on campus to avoid parking citations
- Please arrive only thirty minutes prior to the beginning of your session as this will be when the student assistant will be available to unlock the facility, if needed
- For information table parking, please pick up a parking pass for your visit to campus from the front desk in Sonner Hall.
Participating in Career Fairs or Internship Fair:
Showcase your organization at one of JMU's six Career Fairs offered each year. Visit our Calendar for an overview of our annual events. This page provides dates, times, locations, and contacts for each event.
If you choose to recruit on campus, registered students can search Recruit-A-Duke for information on each organization recruiting on campus. One of the most innovative ways to promote your visit to campus is to post an announcement on JMU's "e-bulletin boards". E-bulletin boards are flat screen monitors that are used to display electronic announcements. There are several located across the campus which give us - and YOU - the opportunity to post electronic announcements to targeted specific student populations.
To advertise and promote your visit, we ask for your announcement to be one PowerPoint slide as this is the most user-friendly format for us to disseminate across the campus. Please keep in mind that your slide will display for a matter of seconds so the intent is to catch the eye of passersby and relay relevant content quickly. Possible items to include are:
- You company logo/design
- Date of your recruiting visit to JMU
- The position(s) you are interviewing for
- A line on your slide that instructs students to submit their resumes Recruit-A-Duke to be considered (Note: You may want to reference your resume submission deadline as well).
If you choose to use this option, we must receive your slide two weeks prior to your position's resume submission deadline.
Another effective way to promote an upcoming visit is through The Breeze, our campus newspaper. It is circulated on Monday and Thursday of each week during the academic year. You can call The Breeze Advertising Office at 540-568-6127 or view their advertising information online at http://www.breezejmu.org/site/advertise. If you want to increase the number of resumes submitted for your position, you should advertise at least five weeks in advance of the interview date.
Connecting with Student Organizations
To connect with various student organizations on our campus, please access the list of student organizations at http://beinvolved.jmu.edu/organizations.
Presentations to Classes:
Class presentations must be scheduled well in advance so that proper arrangements may be made and the date will coincide with topics on the instructor's syllabus. Please be aware that the availability of class time is limited. To make arrangements, contact the Career & Academic Planning liaison to the major(s) you wish to address. Liaisons will contact faculty members to determine if there is a feasible opportunity.
Career Planning Workshops:
Another great way to showcase your organization is to provide a presentation on job search topics. If you have a topic that you'd like to present to students, contact us! We welcome the opportunity for you to share your expertise with our students - it can be a great part of their educational process!
The Mock Interview Program is held various times each semester at theSonner Interview Center. This program gives students the opportunity to practice their interview skills with employers. You can register for an all day-session (9:00 a.m. 4:15 p.m.), or half-day sessions (morning or afternoon), with lunch provided. You'll interview students and share feedback with them on what they did well and how they can improve their interview skills. You may sign up for as many days as you'd like, and you may request multiple interview rooms if needed.
What do the students have to say about participating in mock interviews?
- 97% of students who participated gained valuable experience from their mock interview
- "The recruiter provided a lot of great input that I will carry with in future interviews. It was a great experience."
- "It was prompt and timely, offered a meaningful learning experience. I definitely advise other students to use this resource."
- "This was my first professional interview. I think that it was very helpful and than you for giving me the opportunity! I plan to sign up for more in the future."
What are employers saying about their participation in the mock interview program?
- "The quality of related experiences displayed by JMU students was impressive. It was certainly worth my time to come."
- "JMU students all seemed eager and professional. They were very open to feedback and happy to learn. I enjoyed working with them."
- "Every student was personable and welcomed feedback from the mock interview process."
Resume Round-Up is a day of employer resume reviews for JMU students with a western theme! Students attend this event on a walk-in basis and are assigned to meet with an employer representative for approximately 15 minutes each. Students have greatly appreciated this opportunity to acquire feedback directly from employers. This event is a wonderful complement to our Mock Interview Program and our Career Fairs as well. Past employer participants have included Deloitte, CGI, Ernst & Young, American Woodmark, Target, Johnson Lambert & Co., KPMG, Grafton, Inc., and Apex Systems. Thanks again to all of our past participants!
Interested in participating in these programs and want to learn more? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-568-7379.