Basic Guidelines to Handling Blood and Other Potentially Infected Material
- Put on appropriate equipment for clean up. The minimum requirements during a cleanup are gloves and eye protection to protect yourself from exposure.
- Lay a paper towel on the spill to absorb as much as possible
- Gently spray or pour the disinfectant onto the towel from the outer edge inward
- Allow the disinfectant to stay in place for 20 minutes to assure that the elimination of the infectious waste.
- Dispose of waste in a RED biohazard bag.
- Reapply the disinfectant to the surface for final cleanup with clean paper towel or cloth
- Decontaminate the items used for cleanup appropriately.