It is the policy of James Madison University to provide all employees with a working environment that is free from recognized health or safety hazards.

Workers' Compensation

  • Job related injuries or illnesses should be reported to their supervisor as soon as possible regardless of the severity.
  • The supervisor will fill out a First Report of Injury and forward it to Human Resources.
  • Reports may be submitted in one of the following ways: 
    • Electronically by using the form located at
    • The paper form The Employer's First Report of Injury, sent to Human Resources MSC 7009, along with a Panel of Physicians form.
    • If your department has an interdepartmental accident report form, it may be submitted along with a Panel of Physicians form.

Panel of Physicians:

  • A Panel of Physician's form must be submitted along with any accident report.
  • Employees must use one of the physicians from the panel to ensure maximum benefits.
  • In the case of an emergency, employees should report to the Rockingham Memorial Hospital Emergency Room. A physician from the  panel will coordinate follow up care.

Time Away from Work:

  • Time missed from work must be ordered by the chosen panel physician in order to be approved under Workers' Compensation.
  • The first seven days of the period of time away from work will be charged to the employee's leave unless the employee is off of work for twenty-one calendar days.
  • After twenty-one calendar days, the first seven days of leave will be reimbursed as describe by the Virginia Workers' Compensation Act.

Return to Work on Restricted Duty

When possible, JMU will provide altered or light duty when prescribed by a Panel Physician for a period of up to 90 days.

For further information contact Human Resources at 568-2358 or visit our web site at

Public Safety

The on-campus emergency number, x86911, directly connects any campus phone with the University's police department  and should be used only when fire, police, or medical response is required. Thirty-two outdoor emergency telephones are located  across campus and at the main entrance of all 25 residence halls. These telephones, housed in yellow call boxes, provide one-button  speed dialing for instant communication with the University police.

For information or non-emergencies, you should dial X86913. You should direct all calls concerning parking to X83300.

Your personal safety and the security of the campus community are of vital concern to James Madison University. Information  regarding crime prevention advice, the law enforcement authority of the university police, policies concerning the reporting of any  crimes which may occur on the campus, and crime statistics for the most recent 3-year period is in a publication called, Your Right to Know, and may be requested from the Office of Public Safety.

Back to Top