To view this in Microsoft Word, click here
Policy Number: 110 Last Updated: 7/1/2012
Policy Title: Travel - General
Administrative Contact & Phone: Athletic Business Office x83829 or x82367
JMU Contact & Phone: AP Supervisor of Travel x88019
Websites: JMU FPM 4215 (Link) JMU FPM Forms Index 1020 (Link)
Accounts Payable FAQs (Link)
See JMU Financial Procedure Manual at the website listed above. Athletics prepares blanket Travel Authorizations (TAs) for team travel and recruiting travel. Team travel expenses must be within budget parameters. All recruiting travel must be in accordance with NCAA requirements and is reviewed by JMU Athletics Compliance Office. Athletics requires that travel expense reimbursement vouchers (TERVs) for official travel must be prepared and submitted to the AP within 7 business days of travel completion.
To ensure that all travel meets University, NCAA and Athletic Department requirements. This includes advance approval for all travel expenses through JMU TA forms.
Refer to the JMU website listed in the heading at the beginning of this policy for important information.
Additional information pertaining to Athletics is as follows:
- TA is needed for all travel (team, recruiting and other). Whenever a blanket TA is in place and lodging is over per diem rates, a Prior Approval form is required. At least two hotel comparisons showing higher rates must accompany the Prior Approval form. See the chart below which outlines the necessary steps to process a TA.
- All TA’s for international travel must be reviewed and approved by Compliance.
- All TA's for international travel must be signed by the traveler, supervisor, ABO Director, Athletic Director and Senior VP for Administration and Finance before sending to AP.
- Separate TAs should be prepared for conferences and/or training and development travel.
- Be sure to include BMCF when needed; see section 4215.351 of the JMU FPM.
- The JMU Transportation Dept. prefers that the Athletics Travel Request Form be used for all Athletic travel for consistency. This applies to team, recruiting and general travel.
- Additional travel requirements may apply, i.e. passports for international travel.
Processing a TA:
The form and instructions can be accessed by clicking the lins at the websites listed in the heading of this policy, instructions are located at 4215.925.
- Using budget parameters, estimate all expenses that will be incurred including transportation, lodging and meals, etc.
- Prepare TA and have it signed by traveler and supervisor prior to approval of ABO Director.
- Contact ABO for TA number to enter on form.
- Forward original to AP once ABO assigns the TA number and signed by ABO Director. Retain one copy for file.
- Proceed with scheduling trips, making reservations, etc., once approvals are in place.
- Assign TA number upon request from Administrative Assistant