- SCHOOL OF ART, DESIGN AND ART HISTORY
- Academic Programs
- Resources / Opportunities
- Visit Us
- Contact Us
- Submit News/Event Item
In addition to the general education and academic major requirements, students desiring pre-kindergarten — 12 teaching licensure in art must complete 19 credits of additional course work in art education, education and psychology, and 16 credits of student teaching. It is necessary to be admitted to the teacher education program prior to enrolling in professional education courses. For a complete description of admission and retention policies and procedures for teacher education, refer to the College of Education. Students seeking licensure are encouraged to consult regularly with the program coordinator of art education.
The undergraduate degree leading to licensure must include the following minimum requirements in art:
• Nine credits must be earned in art history and art appreciation.
• Six credits must be earned in ceramics and crafts, with a minimum of one course in ceramics.
• Six credits must be earned in three-dimensional media.
• Twelve credits must be earned in two-dimensional media.
• Twenty-seven studio credits, with a minimum of six credits in each of three separate studio areas.
Dr. William Wightman, Art Education Coordinator, Professor of Art and Art Education
Ph.D. The Ohio State University; M.F.A. Radford University; B.A. Virginia Wesleyan College