Upcoming Events at the Arboretum
Moonlight Holiday Carriage Rides
Friday, December 9, 2016
and Saturday, December 10, 2016
See details below.
Celebrate the Holidays with a truly unforgettable experience - a horse-drawn carriage ride offered one wintery evening each year. For about the cost of taking the family out to a movie, you can create a lifetime memory. This dark sky carriage ride event is offered on the date of a wintery new moon. Begin a new Holiday tradition with your family.
Reservations are recommended and can be made by phone. See below for ride costs and details, or to make your reservation, call (540) 568-3194 weekdays 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Private carriages that seat up to four adults are $75. The private carriage rate will be sold to all group sizes of four adults. Group sizes of four always buy the $75 carriage.
- Only group sizes of three, two, or one person can buy by the seat. The per person ticket price is $18 adults, and $12 for kids ten years of age and younger. Infants that ride on an adult lap who are under two years of age are free.
- The maximum group size per carriage is four for adult riders. Adult riders are anyone eleven years of age or older.
- The maximum group size per carriage for families is five people IF children are ten years old or younger. For children eleven years and older, adult per person policy stands enforce.
- Paid reservations are made by phone using any major credit card, or walk-in weekdays, business hours, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, at the Frances Plecker Education Center with cash or check.
- Walk-up rides days of events might be available but are not guaranteed. Call ahead for walk-up riders. (540) 568-3194.
- Please arrive at the Frances Plecker Ed Center 10 minutes ahead of your scheduled ride time. Rides leave on an exact 20 minute schedule. There is no guarantee that late arrivals can or will be re-seated on a later ride, and a late arriving party's ride may be forfeit.
- Each carriage ride is approximately one mile in length and completes a circuit through the arboretum forest on a graveled, unlit route.
- Moderate inclement weather: carriage roofs go up! Dress for weather forecast! Extreme inclement weather: postponement may be posted on arboretum website, day of. In inclement weather, check the website for an announcement on the day of, www.jmu.edu/arboretum. If no cancellation posts on website by 10:00 am day of, rides proceed.
- Tickets are transferable! Credit, cash, check carriage ride ticket purchases are non-refundable. Rides support the EJC Arboretum.
- A negotiable minimum $15 additional charge for private carriages only that are requested after the close of the event's scheduled rides may be negotiated at carriage driver's discretion. (No individual seat rides are sold after close of event schedule.)
Festive Greens is an exciting annual workshop led by Abby Chick, owner of Blakemore’s Flowers, voted by DNR reader’s as a Best in the Valley flower shop. Participants take their unique personal decorations home after enjoying a creative experience that is fine-tuned under the guidance of a floral expert. The 2016 craft is a set of four evergreen chair decorations, made with customized ribbons and evergreens chosen for beauty and fragrance.
Your registration fee includes everything you need to create your set of four chair decorations. *For attendees who have more than four dining room chairs, additional sets of two chair decoration kits can be purchased for an additional $10, taken home and made at home to decorate dining sets of six, eight, or more. Register online soon, specify if you’re ordering additional chair décor kits. Space is limited! Please click here to register online.
Festive Greens Workshop
Wednesday, December 7, 2016,
Noon to 1:00 p.m. in the
Frances Plecker Ed Center
$35 Workshop Fee for a
Set of Four Dining Room
Led by Abby Chick, owner of
Participate in this month's Photo of the Month Contest! Click here for contest rules and entry information.
Other Events Coming Soon
- December 21, 2016—January 2, 2017, Winter Holiday, JMU closed, and EJC Arboretum offices are closed for winter holidays.
Interested in seeing more of what's coming up next? Please check our Annual Calendar of Events.
Promotional photographs are taken by staff of arboretum events.
Written requests to the Web manager to remove a photograph will be honored.