Upcoming Events at the Arboretum
Fall Plant and Bulb Sale
September 23—October 1, 2016,
9:00 am—3:00 pm at the
Frances Plecker Education Center.
Shop choice spring bulbs, and natives, plants, shrubs and trees at the Frances Plecker Education Center at the EJC Arboretum, and online for just bulbs in advance. The Fall Plant and Bulb Sale starts Friday, September 23.
Harrisonburg and surrounding communities can shop unusual bulbs and natives naturally suited to regional climate and soils, without schedule or traffic hassles or crowds by shopping this sale. EJC Arboretum bulbs are top quality and hand-picked and come straight from the European grower. Purchases can be paid by cash, check, or charge, and support Harrisonburg’s favorite arboretum and gardens that are open daily from dawn to dusk, free to the public.
It’s easy to have a beautiful spring garden by shopping the EJC Arboretum Fall Plant and Bulb Sale at the arboretum this fall! Fall is the best time of year for planting shrubs and trees!
Grab your mat, some water, and a towel and join the newest instructors at The Nest here at the EJC Arboretum for an hour of yoga on the lawn. If lawn conditions are too wet, then yoga meets on the Ernst Terrace. Advance registration is recommended by going to The Nest website. Or you can just show up with your mats and smiles and pay at each class. The Nest is supporting the EJC Arboretum with this partnership program. If you love yoga, and love being outdoors at the EJC Arboretum then Community Yoga is for you. Register for just one session or as many as you want to take. Weather does impact these classes. Check with The Nest website for information regarding weather cancellations. Please note parking information for September 24 and October 1 on the Calendar page.
Community Yoga at the
EJC Arboretum with
The Nest Yoga and Fitness Studio
Saturday mornings, September 10—
October 22, 2016, 8:30am—9:30am
En Plein Aire Sessions
with Artist Martha Crider Henderson
Fridays, October 7 & 21, 2016,
9:00am—noon. Meets in the
pavilion before going on site.
Artists are invited to gather and bring an easel, canvas, pencils, paints, and brushes and everything needed for painting in the open air beauty of the arboretum with renowned impressionist and muralist painter, Martha Crider Henderson. These plein air painting sessions are free and open to all skill levels. Paint under a master and a painter known for her lovely landscapes depicting scenes of the Shenandoah Valley and the world beyond. The group size in each session is limited and advance registration is needed. Register for any or all of the four sessions. Automatic rain date is the Saturday following the session date, same time, if the weather is inclement. Click here to register for this free event.
Joshua Taylor is bringing a premiere photography workshop to the Edith J. Carrier Arboretum. For more than 35 years, Joshua Taylor workshops have been offered by some of America's finest public gardens and arboretums. In a prestigious lineup, now a Joshua Taylor workshop is offered at the Edith J. Carrier Arboretum as well. Photography enthusiasts will not have to go to the U.S. Botanic Garden for a Joshua Taylor workshop... and will not have to go to the Smithsonian, the U.S. National Arboretum, Brookside Gardens, Longwood Gardens, Adkins Arboretum or any other of the public gardens where Joshua Taylor has given workshops. All who want to experience the guidance and coaching of an industry notable can register for the Joshua Taylor Garden Photography workshop at the EJC Arboretum. The workshop will be Saturday, October 8. Mark your calendar, and register now. For a workshop where Joshua can personally and closely interact with each member, space is limited. Learn to take winning photographs in an outdoor shooting session, then learn how to improve digital images using technology for unparalleled, unique, whimsical surrealism in pictures. Click here to register online.
Joshua Taylor's Garden
Saturday October 8, 2016,
9:00 am—4:00 pm at the
Frances Plecker Education Center.
$150 (JMU students pay $125)
Children's Harvest Festival
Saturday, October 15th, 2016,
1:00 p.m.–5:00 p.m. at the
Edith J. Carrier Arboretum.
Gus Bus, the JMU Duke Dog, free children's crafts, dancers, and musicians, all join together with the Edith J. Carrier Arboretum, for the 2016 Children's Harvest Festival!
- Harvest tree seeds and nuts to be involved in plantings that benefit Virginia waterways and the Chesapeake Bay.
- Visit and go aboard Gus Bus to enjoy the final Storytime in the Understory of 2016.
- See the JMU Dance Theatre club and learn dance games and moves. Hear live instrumental and vocal music performed by JMU music performance degree students.
- Walk the magical forest with a woodland fairy princess and build fairy houses.
Enjoy a simple snack during your afternoon of adventure. Make a beautiful fall craft. No registration is and admission is free! Severe inclement weather automatically cancels this outdoor family event.
Enjoy an “edventure” of the Remarkable Trees of the United States National Arboretum in Washington, D.C. in the beauty of fall tree color. After viewing the remarkable trees of the Bonsai Collection, a U.S. National Arboretum guide with the EJC Arboretum Director will lead an expanded tree tour of other remarkable trees on the arboretum grounds.
Field trip registrants only need to wear clothing suitable for the forecast for an outdoor walking tour, and bring their own lunch, water and drinks and snacks for the all-day trip.
Space is limited. Reserve early for this “edventure” to learn all about the remarkable and ancient trees found in the U.S. National Arboretum bonsai collection and on the arboretum grounds. There is time planned into this field trip for enjoying a picnic lunch on the grounds before the van loads up to return to JMU.
Transportation to and from the destination and all costs are provided for the $15 fee. Click here to register.
Remarkable Trees Field Trip
Saturday, October 22, 2016,
$15 per person
Departing 8:00 a.m.
Returning 6:00 p.m.
Meeting 7:45 a.m.
in the parking lot at the
Frances Plecker Education Center.
Participate in this month's Photo of the Month Contest! Click here for contest rules and entry information.
Other Events Coming Soon
- Now until mid-October's first hard frost, Private Greenhouse Shopping by Appointment Shop from the entire greenhouse inventory of natives, exotics and cultivars perennials, shrubs, and trees, by advance appointment only, with $50 minimum purchase required. Call (540) 568-3194 to schedule an appointment.
- Now until mid-October's first hard frost, Walk Up Plant Sales Shop from a limited selection of perennials plants in bloom, shrubs and trees at the Frances Plecker Education Center, weekdays, during normal business hours.
- October, 2016, Migratory Butterflies, Children's Monarch Migration Tagging Workshop, date to be announced online approximately a month ahead, A workshop program with Linda Marchman, owner of Social Butterflies, teaching tagging for migratory Monarchs that emerged from their pupae. This program includes a lecture, a tagging demonstration.
- November 9 & 16, 2016, Bonsai Workshop, Wednesdays, noon—1:00, $35 workshop fee for two sessions, in the Frances Plecker Education Center. All supplies are included. Create a "wee tree". Online registration opens October 9 at jmu.edu/arboretum.
- November, 2016, JMU Holiday, dates to be announced online approximately a month ahead EJC Arboretum offices closed.
- November—December, 2016, Festive Holiday Plants Online Sale, dates to be announced online approximately a month ahead Bring the beauty of fresh blooming holiday plants into your home or office for the Holidays. The EJC Arboretum offers locally-grown, high-quality plants.
- December, 2016, Annual Festive Greens Workshop, dates to be announced online approximately a month ahead noon—1:30 pm, Create a versatile holiday décor piece that will beautify any holiday home or business with style and fragrance, under the guidance of a floral expert, Abby Long from Blakemore's Florist. Fee varies depending on supplies ordered when registering. Registration will open 30 days before the event. Held in the Frances Plecker Education Center. Online Registration opens 30 days before event.
- December, 2016, Moonlight Holiday and Winter Commencement Carriage Rides, dates to be announced online approximately a month ahead 5—8:00 pm, reserve to enjoy a horse drawn holiday carriage moonlight or daytime ride. Horse teams are harnessed in jingle bells for this festive Holiday celebration. For the cost of a movie ticket, create a holiday memory of a lifetime! Browse arboretum website, late fall for information when posted. Carriages leave the Frances Plecker Education Center on a 20 minute schedule.
- December 23 — January 1, 2017, Winter Holiday, dates to be announced online approximately a month ahead JMU closed, and EJC Arboretum offices are closed for winter holidays.
Interested in seeing more of what's coming up next? Please check our Annual Calendar of Events.
Promotional photographs are taken by staff of arboretum events.
Written requests to the Web manager to remove a photograph will be honored.