Changed your email address? Moved recently? Help us stay in touch with you!
Click here to update!
Make a contribution to the university that shaped your future. Click to give back.
Have exciting alumni news? Story ideas? Photos from a JMU event? Email: email@example.com
Alumni Giving at JMU is just above 7%. Let’s Be the Change and change that for the better. Give today, and help make a difference.
JMU Alumni Chapters across the world are participating in the Chapter Challenge to increase overall alumni giving and to receive awards for their Chapter.
Any gift you make to from July 30, 2013 to May 31, 2014 will count for YOUR chapter.
You can give to any JMU fund you like — there are 2,200 of them to choose from! Click here to look at the most crucial funds.
Chapter event fees DO NOT count as gifts.
Special event grants are awarded to:
The chapter exceeding the JMU participation goal of 8%.
The chapter with the largest percentage increase in giving from July 30, 2013 to May 2014.
The chapter with the highest overall participation rate from July 30, 2013 to May 31, 2014.
That's a fair question. And it’s really simple: financial gifts enhance the university.
Where does the money go?
It provides funding for:
• Academic departments
• JMU programs
• Recruitment and retention of exceptional faculty
• Necessary support for the many big dreams in Madison's future.
There are more than 2,200 funds at JMU; there’s a fund for just about any passion.
But JMU is state school, so it gets money from the state, right?
Yes and no.
JMU is a state school and does receive some funding from the state of Virginia but that funding has been cut by $26 million over the past seven years.
In 2001, JMU received 46% of its budget from the state & in 2011; it received 29% of its budget from the state.
This decrease, coupled with stagnant private giving, has forced JMU to raise the cost of tuition to offset the loss of state funding.
So why not raise tuition even more?
JMU can only raise tuition so much to remain an affordable institution to today’s students.
Private support helps bridge the gap between state funding and tuition, while also giving the opportunity to make JMU the best it can be.
How do we compare to other state institutions?
What many alumni don’t realize is how much power they wield when it comes to changing JMU’s alumni giving rate — a number that ranks well below fellow state institutions:
• JMU: 7.6%
• UVA: 23%
• William & Mary: 22%
• Virginia Tech: 11%
With more than 112,000 JMU alumni out in the world making great things happen, just over 8,500 (7.6%) gave back to the university in 2013. This is well below the schools to which we compare ourselves. Simply put, we are capable of doing better!
I’m still paying off my student loan, I have mortgage payments, car payments, I’m broke and I can’t give.
We’re all in a similar situation… but did you know that 270 Madison students gave back during the 2012-13 academic year? If they can do it, so can you. We believe in YOU.
Even if I could give, it wouldn’t be significant.
It’s all in the power of numbers…
• If 80 JMU alumni gave $5 per month ($60 per year each), one deserving Madison student would not need to worry about room, board or books for one SEMESTER.
• If 40 JMU alumni gave $20 per month ($240 per year each), one deserving Madison student would not need to worry about in-state tuition, fees and books for one YEAR.
• If 20 JMU alumni gave $50 per month ($850 per year each), one deserving Madison student would not need to worry about in-state tuition, fees, room, board and books for one SEMESTER.
And the most important number of all?
One. It only takes one person to make a difference. YOU are the vital piece. Please make a difference & make your gift today.
Right, but why should I give?
• In short, giving to JMU means a brighter future for the university.
• That means a brighter future for university graduates ... & more value for YOUR degree.
• Madison needs to raise alumni participation goal this year.
• Madison needs YOU to make that happen.
With more than 2,200 funds at JMU; there’s a fund for just about any passion. You can go to (new website address from Lisa) for details on the most critical JMU funds; or if you’re not sure where to give to, know that the Funds below will really s-t-r-e-t-c-h your hard earned dollar:
Madison Forever Scholarships exist for current JMU students who face challenging financial obstacles which would otherwise prevent them from completing their degree. Scholarships are added every year.
Madison Forever Vision Fund exists to support JMU’s vision of becoming the national model for higher education.
Academic Departments support students & faculty within the:
• College of Arts & Letters
• College of Business
• College of Education
• College of Health and Behavioral Sciences
• College of Integrated Science & Engineering
• College of Science & Mathematics
• College of Visual & Performing Arts
JMU Programs support:
• JMU Libraries
• Edith J. Carrier Arboretum
• General Education Program
• Division of Student Affairs
Provide for student-athlete scholarships and the general operating budget of the JMU Athletic Department.
All of the Above
When you make your gift to JMU, you can designate your gift to one specific area or divvy up your donation to many areas at the university
Want more alumni information? Receive event, news and media features every month by subscribing to Madison Update, the official alumni eNewsletter of James Madison University.