Madison Advising Peers
Madison Advising Peer Goals
- Provide JMU students with greater knowledge of the nuts and bolts of academic advising; for example, how to read a degree progress report, how to understand General Education requirements, and how to declare a major, minor or pre-professional program
- Increase student confidence in understanding graduation requirements and utilizing academic tools and resources such as e-campus
- Increase student knowledge of academic advising resources on campus and make appropriate referrals
- Help students understand their role in the advising process and how best to work with their faculty adviser
- Increase student awareness of special opportunities on campus such as study abroad, internships, and competitive scholarships
Who is Eligible to Apply?
Any undergraduate student who meets the following criteria:
- Has been enrolled at JMU for 2 consecutive semesters prior to making application and has completed at least 24 credit hours by fall 2013. Has a cumulative GPA of 3.00 (no rounding) as confirmed on your unofficial transcript
- Is able to work for a full academic year (fall and spring semesters)
- Is available to work 10 hours per week
- Must be able to participate in a mandatory training program the week before classes begin (week of August 19th, 2013)
- Must be able to attend regular staff meetings and other workshops for continued training throughout the year
Application Guidelines for the 2013-14 year will be posted spring semester, 2013.