A-to-Z Index

Declaring and Changing a Major

Declaring a Major

As a new freshmen or transfer student you declare your major through the JMU Onebook website when you sign up for orientation. This major becomes your official major of record unless you change your major at some point in the future. All adviser assignments are based upon your declared major.

Changing a Major

If you wish to change your major you must complete a Change or Declaration of Major form available from Registration Services located on the third floor of Warren Hall and you must obtain the signature of the department head in the new major.  

Once you have the required department head signature, submit the form to the Office of the Registrar on the 5th floor of Warren Hall. Signed forms must be returned to the Office of the Registrar in order for your official academic record to reflect the new major program of study.

Your academic major will not be officially changed without the completion and submission of the change of major form to the Registrar's office. This is important as many academic programs restrict the initial pre-registration into major courses to declared majors only.