Skip to Main Content

General Education

You are in the main content

AP, IB and Dual Enrollment Credit

If students took exams in high school for Advanced Placement, Cambridge International and International Baccalaureate courses, they may receive JMU credit for some courses depending upon the scores.    

To view a list of possible JMU equivalents and required scores, check the appropriate section of the current undergraduate catalog: 

Copies of the official AP, CIE and IB score reports must be sent to the JMU Office of Admission before JMU credit will be awarded (see address below). 

If a student took dual enrollment courses in high school for which there is a JMU equivalent course, they must have a copy of their official transcript sent to the JMU Office of Admission for evaluation before JMU credit will be awarded.  Transcripts can be sent to:

Office of Admissions
James Madison University
MSC 0101
481 Bluestone Drive
Harrisonburg, VA 22807

Transfer Credit

Currently enrolled students at JMU who wish to take a General Education course at another institution and transfer the credit back to JMU must get approval from Dr. Meg Mulrooney, Associate Vice Provost of University Programs, prior to taking the course. For more information about transfer credit, course approval and forms that must be completed, visit the General Education program's website for Information for Students Already Enrolled at JMU.