Skip to Main Content
You are in the main content

Academic Support Resources

Resource Contact Information You should contact this office if...
Your Professor

Check your syllabus or
JMU Campus Directory 

  • You miss a class for any reason.
  • You want help with understanding an assignment or group work for a class.
  • You have a question specifically related to that class.
Your Assigned Academic Adviser Log in to MyMadison to find the name of your assigned academic adviser
  • You have questions about your major, minor or pre-professional program
  • You have questions about admission or progression standards in your program
  • You want advice about whether to add, drop or withdraw from a class
University Advising & Madison Advising Peers (MAPs)

Wilson Hall 102

  • You have a question about how to enroll in your classes
  • You want help understanding your program, degree or GenEd requirements
  • You want help with creating a four-year plan for meeting your requirements
Career & Academic Planning (CAP)

Wilson Hall 301


  • You’re considering changing majors and want to talk about which one is best for you
  • You want to learn more about possible career options available to you
  • You’re applying for a job, internship or graduate school
English Language Learner Services (ELLS)

Cleveland Hall 203


  • You have questions about academic culture in the US
  • You want help adjusting to being a student in a US classroom
  • You want to improve your reading, writing, speaking or listening skills in English
Science and Math Learning Center (SMLC)

Roop Hall 200


  • You want help understanding course content, doing homework or a lab report in a first or second year physics, chemistry, calculus or statistics course
  • You want help in any Gen Ed math or science course
  • You want help with an online assignment in ARIS, LON-CAPA, SPSS, etc.
Peer Assisted Study Sessions (PASS)

Various Locations


  • You’re taking one of these classes and want some support with your studying: BIO 114, BIO 270, BIO 290, CHEM 120, CHEM 131, CHEM 132, CHEM 241, COB 291, ECON 201, GECON 200, MATH 205, MATH 220 (Classes are subject to change.  Check the PASS website to see if your section is supported.)
Communication Center

Wilson Hall, 4th Floor


  • You’re working on an individual or group communication project and want some assistance with planning or rehearsing for the presentation
  • You’re nervous about speaking in front of a group and want advice on how to reduce speech-related anxiety
University Writing Center (UWC)

Wilson Hall, 4th Floor


  • You want help with a writing assignment you are working on
  • You want some support with improving your overall writing skills
  • You want help choosing a topic or coming up with ideas of what to write about
  • You want assistance with how to include and cite sources correctly in an essay
Learning Strategies Instruction (LSI)

Wilson Hall, Room 107


  • You want some ideas about how to manage your time better
  • You want to work on your test-taking skills or managing test related anxiety
  • You want help with reading, note-taking, studying or improving your memory
  • You have high academic achievement goals and want help meeting them
Office of Disability Services (ODS)

Wilson Hall, Room 107

  • You are a student with a physical, mental, sensory, learning or other disability
  • You wonder if you might have a disability and want to be screened to find out
  • You need access to services or accommodations to be able to participate fully in the classroom experience
International Students & Scholar Services (OIP-ISSS)

JMAC 6, Suite 23


You are an international student and . . .

  • You have a question about how your academic work affects your immigration status (i.e. employment, internships, volunteering, dropping below full time)
  • You have a question about how to get involved or campus culture