Scheduling a CLEP Exam
CLEP exams are administered on TUESDAYS ONLY at 8:00 a.m., 10:00 a.m., 12:00 p.m. Also please note that a result of an upcoming office loaction change and upgrade to the CLEP software, exams will not be offered during December 2013 nor January and February 2014. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Tests must be scheduled at least one week in advance. Tests may only be scheduled through the Adult Degree Program office at 540-568-6824.
When scheduling a test, the following information is required:
- Name of person taking test
- Their phone number and email address
- Exact name of test they wish to take.
Test fees are payable the day of the exam and include:
- $80 for the exam, payable with a credit card only. No cash or checks are accepted for the test fee.
- $20 administrative fee, payable by check or money order only, made out to James Madison University. No cash or credit cards are accepted for the administrative fee.
- No administrative fee for active military.
The total time to take the exam is about two hours – approximately 30 minutes to complete the registration process and do the test tutorial and 90 minutes for the exam itself. Note: Students need to plan on 2 ½ hours for the College Composition exam – 30 minutes to complete the registration process and do the test tutorial and two full hours for the exam itself.
- Parking passes are available and should be arranged for in advance.
- Students will receive a confirmation email and directions after they schedule the test.
- Students complete the registration form online on the day of the test.
- Students designate the college or university to which the official transcripts will be sent at that time.
- Students receive unofficial results when you finish the test.
- CLEP exams are not scheduled when the University is closed (either for holidays or inclement weather) or when the test administrator is out of the office.
- In case of inclement weather, err on the side of caution and call the Adult Degree Program office at 540-568-6824 to cancel the exam and reschedule it. If the weather were to turn worse and the University closes, the test administrator would have to stop the exam.