Cover Photo Image

Requesting to Continue

If you believe there are extenuating circumstances associated with your first academic suspension, you may appeal for continued enrollment.  Submit a written appeal documenting the reason for your academic deficiency to the assistant/associate dean of your major college, or if you are undeclared, to the Assistant Vice Provost of University Programs.

There is no appeal of second and subsequent suspensions.

Submitting a Written Request to Continue:

  • Letters should be typed (i.e. not hand written) and include your name and student ID number.
  • Letters may be mailed, hand delivered, or e-mailed (as an attachment).  
  • If you do not attend summer session, your appeal letter is due by the applicable submission deadline.
  • Appeals from students who do attend summer session should be sent as soon as you complete summer classes and must be received by the applicable submission deadline.

You will receive a written response from your Dean's office concerning your appeal within a few weeks.

If your appeal is granted, you will receive a letter listing continued enrollment conditions you must agree to in order to return for fall.

Carefully review the stated conditions. Failure to fulfill all conditions will result in an additional academic suspension.

If you opt to agree to the conditions and continue enrollment at JMU, mail or hand deliver the signed and dated letter to the specified office by the deadline stated on the letter.

If your request for continued enrollment is rejected, or if you neglect to send an appeal letter by the applicable deadline, you will be ineligible to return to JMU for the fall semester and you will be dropped from all fall classes.

If your GPA reaches Academic Probation or Good Standing during Summer Session, you do not need to submit a letter of appeal in order to return to JMU for the fall semester.

Spring Academic Suspension And Summer Session Attendance

If you are placed on academic suspension at the end of a spring semester:

  • You may — unless otherwise specified — enroll in summer session classes by completing normal registration procedures.
  • You must view the Academic Standing Information module and complete the accompanying assignment by the stated deadline.  By not viewing the module and/or completing the assignment, suspended undergraduates will be dropped from (or not permitted to register for) classes in the second four-week and six-week summer sessions.
  • If your GPA reaches Academic Probation or Good Standing during the Summer Session, you do not need to submit a letter of appeal in order to return to JMU for the fall semester.
  • The spring suspension will remain on the transcript and count toward the three suspension limit even if you are able to bring your GPA up to Academic Probation or Good Standing during the summer session.
  • You should not take summer session classes at another college (grades do not transfer - only credits do).

Back to Top