Finance Forum SummaryNotes
Introduction of New JMU Staff
- Diane Yerian is the new Director of Human Resources. Diane is no stranger to JMU. Beginning her career here in 1996, Diane served as the Personnel Coordinator for Facilities Management. In 1997 she transferred into Human Resources to serve as a Management Services Representative. Seven years later she became the Director of Training and Development. Diane then served as adjunct faculty at JMU while pursuing career interests at Eastern Mennonite University, the United Way of Harrisonburg and Rockingham County and elsewhere.
- Rob Morgan recently joined the IT Training staff and will be presenting the Finance Overview and Finance Reading Report class.
Accounting Technology Updates and Reminders
- On March 30-31, 2013, the server that runs nVision Reports in PeopleSoft will be upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2010, which will affect the way nVision Reports run. They will no longer run to HTML, but will run only to Excel. For those users who utilize the drilldown function currently available in HTML, there will be an Excel add-in that will enable drilldown functionality.
- The Excel Add-In Installation instructions are available on the web page of Accounting Operations & Disbursements. Scroll down to the Technology heading and then click on User Tips. (Or use this link: http://www.jmu.edu/acctgserv/expenditures/usertips.shtml) Click on the Excel Add-In Installation Instructions to open the Word document, and follow the easy step-by-step instructions.
- The due date for the Add-in Installation is March 1, 2013. Please complete the installation by this date to allow time to address any issues that may arise before the go-live date of March 30-31 for the Server Upgrade. If you have any issues or questions related to installing the add-in, contact Amanda Hughes in Accounting Technology (email@example.com).
- Training Open Labs – Wednesday, March 27 from 1:30-2:30 and Tuesday, April 9 from 1:30-2:30. Both labs will be held in JMAC4 (IT Training Center). No sign-up is needed; just stop by if you have issues, questions, or want to test out the new drilldown functionality.
Electronic Vendor Payments Update
- The campaign by Vendorin to enroll existing JMU vendors in electronic payments has ended, but new vendors can continue to be set up for either ACH or virtual credit card payments. Thanks to all who helped answer questions from vendors about the letters they received from Vendorin regarding the enrollment process.
- Electronic payment to vendors enrolled so far will result in JMU processing approximately 10,000 fewer checks, which is a huge savings.
- Electronic payments are also better for vendors because they receive their funds more quickly and the electronic payment process is more secure.
- If you are aware of a vendor who would like to be paid electronically, please ask them to complete the E-Payments Option form available through the link http://www.jmu.edu/acctgserv/expenditures/vendor_pay_methods.shtml and submit by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. A JMU representative will then contact the vendor to discuss the best option for that company or individual.
April Finance Forum Dates
- Thursday, April 18 – Allegheny Room – Festival
- Friday, April 26 – Transitions – Warren Hall (Date Change: Originally scheduled for April 24. Be sure to update your calendar.)
All small purchase charge cards are assigned two different limits when they are requested.
- The first is the transaction limit, which is the amount you can spend per transaction. The transaction limit on all small purchase charge cards is set at $4,999.
- The second limit on all cards is the monthly transaction limit; this is the amount you have available to spend during your billing cycle. This limit can range from $5,000 to $100,000 a billing cycle depending on the amount of spend you have on your card.
- Each year cardholders should be completing the Yearly Spending Analysis, which can be found on the Forms section of the Accounts Payable webpage. This analysis helps to make sure your monthly limit is in line with your actual spend. If you are unsure about your monthly spending limit please email the email@example.com mailbox, and Jennifer or Tanya will be glad to help you.
Contact List for Questions: