Cover Photo Image

Frequently Asked Questions

Questions About Reporting to Title IX

Can I report to any Title IX Officer?

As much as possible we would like for reports involving

    • Students to go to the Coordinator
    • Faculty to go to the Officer for Faculty
    • Staff to go to the Officer for Staff
    • Athletics to go to the Officer for Athletics

This is because the Coordinator and the designated officers have particular insight and understanding of the needs of their constituents and the resources available.  However, the most important thing is to report in order to be able to access resources. Therefore, in addition to the Title IX Coordinator, any Title IX Officer can receive any report of sexual misconduct involving a JMU community member.  The Officer who receives the report will then refer the report to the designated officer.

What is the difference between a Report a Formal Report and Telling Title IX?

We use the term report to refer to the information that Title IX receives about instances of sexual misconduct involving JMU community members. 

When someone tells the Title IX Coordinator or a Title IX Officer about sexual misconduct, whether it is in person, over the phone, email, or an online form, it is a report.  So really there is no difference between reporting to Title IX and telling or sharing information with Title IX.

A Formal Report though is different than reporting/telling.  JMU community members who would like to have their cases heard through a campus conduct process sign a Formal Report form with Title IX in order to begin the steps in that process.

Questions About Title IX Resources

Do I need to make a formal report and go through a campus conduct process to receive resources?

No.  Title IX can provide individuals who have experienced sexual misconduct with resources and support even if they are not currently going through a campus conduct process.  We refer to these resources as Interim Measures because they are options that can be provided in the short term while someone is considering whether to move forward with a process.  Assistance with housing arrangements, academic assistance, No Contact Orders, and referrals to on-campus resources like the Counseling Center and Health Center are all considered Interim Measures.

Can Title IX provide other resources and assistance or just the ones mentioned?

Every situation is different and everyone’s path to healing is different.  The interim measures such as academic assistance, assistance with housing arrangements, referrals, and No Contact Orders are the most frequently requested resources. However, there are other options and resources available too.

Do I have to go through Title IX if I want to work with the advocate in UHC or the Counseling Center or the police?

No.  It is very common for individuals to choose to utilize the Counseling Center, the Health Center, campus resources and/or JMU and local police first before using Title IX resources.  Title IX can just serve as another bridge to those resources for individuals who have experienced harm from experiences of sexual misconduct.

Questions About Campus Resources

As a Responsible Employee, do I fulfill my obligation by reporting to the Police and/or a Confidential Resource?

No. Responsible Employees fulfill their reporting obligation by reporting to Title IX. In Title IX we definitely encourage Responsible Employees to report instances of sexual misconduct to university police and to consult with the Counseling Center and UHC, too. However, the reporting obligation is to Title IX.

Some Responsible Employees are also designated as Campus Security Authorities and/or Mandated Reporters. Employees who have these other designations have additional requirements for reporting to other campus and community authorities.

In the department I am working in, the procedure is for me to report information about sexual misconduct to my supervisor, and then my supervisor reports the information to Title IX. Is that okay?

We recommend following the reporting procedure designated for your department or office and realize that it is important for offices and departments to establish reporting procedures that work effectively within the culture of the organization.  However, as mentioned previously, anyone can report at any time to the Title IX Coordinator or a Title IX Officer.

Do Responsible Employees only report instances of sexual misconduct involving students?

No. Responsible employees report instances of sexual misconduct involving any and all JMU community members.

Does this mean that when I am at home and talking to a friend about something and they mention sexual misconduct, I have to report?

Employees are responsible for reporting instances of sexual misconduct that they learn about in the regular execution of their paid responsibilities, and that can include representing the university off campus in some sort of official capacity.

Are any of these resources available to people responding to being named or charged with sexual misconduct?

Yes. Interim measures including academic assistance, assistance with housing arrangements, and referrals to medical and counseling resources are available to respondents. When a formal complaint is filed through Title IX, we will make sure the respondent is assigned to a Title IX Officer who can provide support and information about resources.

Other Commonly Asked Questions

Do I have to talk to Title IX or report what happened right away or can I wait?

We know that any form of sex-based discrimination can be a difficult experience. You can talk with us at any time no matter when or where the conduct occurred. You do not have to file a formal complaint in order to speak with us. We also want you to remember that after speaking with us and learning about all your options and receiving information about resources, it’s okay if you are not ready to make a decision. We will continue to be here for you.

I experienced sexual misconduct but the person who did this is not a member of the JMU community?

Campus conduct processes are only available if the person who perpetrated the harm is a member of the university community. However, resources like assistance with housing, academic assistance, and confidential resources are still available to the survivor.

Do I have to tell someone about my experience?

No. It is important for individuals who have experienced harm from an incident of sexual misconduct to know that they can choose if and when they want to talk about it and who they would like to talk about it with.

I want to tell someone what happened but I don’t want it to be reported to Title IX or the police. What are my options?

Family and friends, confidential campus resources, people you know, or places you go to for support off campus like therapists and doctors don’t report sexual misconduct to JMU Title IX or the police.  There may be exceptions if they have a role that mandates or creates a responsibility for reporting.

Do I have to choose either a campus conduct process or a law enforcement process? Can I do both? What if I don’t want to do either process?

You are always welcome to explore law enforcement and campus conduct options when, how, and if you would like. Keep in mind that campus conduct processes are only available if the person who perpetrated the harm is a member of the university community.  Law Enforcement officials always encourage individuals who have experienced harm to sit down with an officer to discuss options.  The law enforcement options are going to vary depending on the jurisdiction and when the harm took place.

What Campus Conduct Processes are available?

The campus conduct available is going to depend on the role the respondent has in the university community. The respondent is the person who has been named as causing harm through an act of sexual misconduct.

  • When the respondent is a student, the case is heard through the Sexual Misconduct Accountability Process administered by the Office of Student Accountability and Restorative Practices. 
  • When the respondent is a classified, wage, or non-tenured A&P faculty staff member, the case is heard through the process outlined in JMU Policy 1340 and in accordance with applicable University and state regulations.  
  • When the respondent is a faculty member, the case is heard through the procedure detailed in JMU Policy 1340.  

Can I report for myself?

Individuals are welcome to seek out Title IX or confidential resources to make a report for themselves. 

How does Title IX find out about sexual misconduct?

Most often we receive reports through Third Parties such as Responsible Employees and law enforcement.  We also have individuals come to see us to report their own experiences of sexual misconduct.

Back to Top